• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When; does your CV start to speak / do you stop getting asked the basics??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When; does your CV start to speak / do you stop getting asked the basics??

I'm still young (I think) and by that account still a young developer. So far on my CV I've clocked up a 4 year Honours Degree, 3 years at a global IT brand and now two 6 month contracts.

My question for those more senior than myself, when does your CV start speaking for itself?? Does it EVER? I mean at 10+ years experience can I still expect to be asked in an interview "What is polymorphisim?". Which for those who aren't OO-Devs is like someone asking "What is semantics?" ie you use it/them every day of your life but you don't EVER actually think about it or need to discuss it.

Do interviewers ever stop asking lame basic questions that reveal nothing about your ability as a developer but do reveal the fact they didn't believe a single thing you wrote on your CV?

Originally posted by nfoote View Post

Do interviewers ever stop asking lame basic questions that reveal nothing about your ability as a developer but do reveal the fact they didn't believe a single thing you wrote on your CV?
    The answer from the various people I spoke to and my own experience is "NO".

Unfortunately lots of people don't know how to interview.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Doing a telephone interview tomorrow. I will be seriously irritated if it becomes an exercise in how much I have memorized from a text book and can recite back to the interviewer - or mostly can't in my case.

Comment

I've programmed various flavours of Basic for 23 years and for my recent contract, started 2 months ago, was still asked "What is Option Explicit", "How do you determine the size of an array", "What is the syntax to setup error handling"

So in my experience they will always start low and head higher.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I can't comment on techie type CV's but even with Service management work they ask the basics about why do you need change management etc.. I have ITIL FFS I answered this one and got the cert so you don't need to ask.. but go along with it anyway. You can have 10+ years or 3+ years. They don't care, they want someone to do the job in hand. Lets face it, what you did 5+ years ago, even 3 years ago for us doddery old gits has been well forgotten by now and even if not is well out of date anyway. I am sure the client doesn't care if we were admin on the largest mini computer in the North West!

I am happy to pander to this as they want some that can do a particular job. Not a good guy that could do it given the chance. That is the permie way. If they want to make sure I am the man by asking me what change management in then fair enough. I don't really care if they ignore the rest of my CV to be honest.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I can't comment on techie type CV's but even with Service management work they ask the basics about why do you need change management etc.. I have ITIL FFS I answered this one and got the cert so you don't need to ask.. but go along with it anyway. You can have 10+ years or 3+ years. They don't care, they want someone to do the job in hand. Lets face it, what you did 5+ years ago, even 3 years ago for us doddery old gits has been well forgotten by now and even if not is well out of date anyway. I am sure the client doesn't care if we were admin on the largest mini computer in the North West!

I am happy to pander to this as they want some that can do a particular job. Not a good guy that could do it given the chance. That is the permie way. If they want to make sure I am the man by asking me what change management in then fair enough. I don't really care if they ignore the rest of my CV to be honest.
            Worst is when someone at the interview starts asking you detailed questions about a project you did 10 years ago.... Have now left out everything older than 3 years on my CV and only mention recent projects.

Comment

what you did 5+ years ago, even 3 years ago for us doddery old gits has been well forgotten by now and even if not is well out of date anyway.
              Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
              Worst is when someone at the interview starts asking you detailed questions about a project you did 10 years ago.... Have now left out everything older than 3 years on my CV and only mention recent projects.
              Ha yeah thats another annoying issue that I have still being a kinda young dev and applying for kinda lower level roles, a lot of adverts/agents ask about not only Maths/Comp Sci degree but about Math/English A Levels?!? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that HIGH SCHOOL?? Even for me that was almost 10 years ago (not to mention in a different country so I've got no idea how to compare A Levels to what I did). Who cares what you did at High School???

You can safely assume anything I did 10 years ago falls into one of two categories; A) Integrated into everyday life, like speaking English or breathing, or B) Unimportant for the direction my life took since then, therefore forgotten.

Comment

they want some that can do a particular job. Not a good guy that could do it given the chance.
                True true I see this point, just seems to me they could cut half the interview out if they spent 3 minutes on the phone to one reference;
                "Hi, is John Doe a real person?"
                "Uh, yes.."
                "Can he code?"
                "Well we didn't pay him for 3 years to do anything else..."
                *click*

Comment

My area, test management, is the same. Most of the times the interviewer is the project or program manager, and they have a basic understanding of testing from past experience working with test managers, but they lack the detailed knowledge because it is an area they don't want to bother about. Most interviews I do are more about whether there is a fit in personalities than about my knowledge of testing methodology, which they assume (correctly) as a given.

Comment

Originally posted by nfoote View Post

You can safely assume anything I did 10 years ago falls into one of two categories; A) Integrated into everyday life, like speaking English or breathing, or B) Unimportant for the direction my life took since then, therefore forgotten. C) Sitting on street corner with bottle of White Lightning and harrassing old ladies
                    Fixed that for you
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X