• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right time to start looking for new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right time to start looking for new contract

I am new to contracting and currently I am serving my first contract. It is a 3 months contract and the work isn't great. Approximately two more months are left in this contract. So, although it is highly unlikely that the contract would be extended based on the amount of work, I would not like to continue with the current contract and would like to go for another contract after this.
    So, I would like to kindly ask old timers that at approximately what time(how many weeks) before the last day of the contract, do they start looking for new contracts?

Originally posted by vikasgupta View Post
    I am new to contracting and currently I am serving my first contract. It is a 3 months contract and the work isn't great. Approximately two more months are left in this contract. So, although it is highly unlikely that the contract would be extended based on the amount of work, I would not like to continue with the current contract and would like to go for another contract after this.
    So, I would like to kindly ask old timers that at approximately what time(how many weeks) before the last day of the contract, do they start looking for new contracts?
    I personally start looking about 3-4 weeks before the contract ends. The agencies would generally not be interested in forwarding you before that.

Also, start thinking abt how are you going to handle interview requests (telephonic/f2f), while you are still with your current client. F2F ones generally pose a challenge, specially if the potential gig isn't local to your place.

Comment

4 weeks, for me. Any sooner, and agents normally don't want to know you. Mind you, nothing wrong with keeping on the lookout all the time, really. Can't do any harm. And from the sounds of it, you aren't too stretched work-wise at the current gig., so you might as well be doing something productive.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Welcome!

I would like to kindly ask old timers that at approximately what time(how many weeks) before the last day of the contract, do they start looking for new contracts?
        Ahh, it varies. If you are not happy then go on and start looking now. If you are happy and you aren't bothered if you get an extension or take a holiday then don't bother looking.

Generally speaking, I'd be doing some serious searching starting at 4 weeks to go before the end of the contract. Much more than that and you will run into problems with the lead time before you can start. As an aside, I always say I can start immediately because there is so much messing about goes on that "immediately" normally means 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

Good luck!
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Welcome!

Ahh, it varies. If you are not happy then go on and start looking now. If you are happy and you aren't bothered if you get an extension or take a holiday then don't bother looking.

Generally speaking, I'd be doing some serious searching starting at 4 weeks to go before the end of the contract. Much more than that and you will run into problems with the lead time before you can start. As an aside, I always say I can start immediately because there is so much messing about goes on that "immediately" normally means 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

Good luck!
          Generally WHS but I would throw in a different take on the 'immediately' comment. The last 4 contracts I have had I interviewed Tuesday/Weds and started Monday. Don't assume anything. Immediately can indeed mean immediately and sometimes it can be 2-3 weeks.

Becuase of this I have started looking 2-3 weeks as I found 4 weeks just too long but thats just my persoanl experience
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I personally thank all of you for sharing your experience. Now I have good idea of when to start looking for a new contract.

Comment

Working...
            X