• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to pay for a 2K+ laptop via Limited when on the VAT Flat rate scheme.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is the limit 2K including or excluding VAT? Either way getting 20% off is hardly pyrrhic since that's £3-400. A Macbook Pro will eat up £2K if you want a big screen - but you can also include other purchases like a printer.
    If you don't need to spend the money, then you don't need to spend the money. I've not seen a £2k laptop that I could even remotely justify the expenditure on.

My laptop cost £800 a few years back and is still fine to run Oracle R12 with no problems, while also running a Windows VM to do some development work. What does a £2k laptop do that an £800 one doesn't?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I can kind of understand where the OP is coming from as it is easy to spend more when it is the Ltd's money and not yours.

Several months ago I was looking for a new company laptop and had set my heart on a gorgeous Sony Vaio for about £1400.

I was so close to buying one but my prudent nature won over and I bought a mid-range Samsung laptop for about £540 instead.

Each to their own I say.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        What does a £2k laptop do that an £800 one doesn't?
        If you want the latest top end CPU, lots of memory and a discrete GPU in a box that weighs 1.5kg then you will pay for it. Similarly if you want the top end CPU, lots of memory and discrete graphics with a full HD screen.

You'll get a 3G modem, GPS & fingerprint reader thrown in as well.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you don't need to spend the money, then you don't need to spend the money. I've not seen a £2k laptop that I could even remotely justify the expenditure on.

My laptop cost £800 a few years back and is still fine to run Oracle R12 with no problems, while also running a Windows VM to do some development work. What does a £2k laptop do that an £800 one doesn't?
          What does a £200k supercar do that an £80k car doesn't? Nothing, but it does the same things faster.

Although with a laptop it can make a big difference. If you want to do gaming, £800 won't get you a high-end GPU. If you do movie-editing or you want a proper DB running in Oracle, 4Gb of Ram won't be enough. Maybe you want a 17" monitor and excellent battery life and something that doesn't weight a metric ton... each of those things adds a few quid.

Just because you don't have a need for high-end doesn't mean nobody else does (let alone posers who just want something shiny). By that mentality everyone should drive a Ford Focus - comfortable, economical and functional.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            If you want the latest top end CPU, lots of memory and a discrete GPU in a box that weighs 1.5kg then you will pay for it. Similarly if you want the top end CPU, lots of memory and discrete graphics with a full HD screen.

You'll get a 3G modem, GPS & fingerprint reader thrown in as well.
            And just to assist the OP in throwing his money away, I went to the Dell Small Business section and configured a typical high-end business Laptop (M6500 Precision) with all the toys:

Subtotal £6,112.47
            VAT & Shipping NOT included

That's just over £7,200.00 inc. VAT and Shipping.

Didn't someone say something about adding a printer?
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

2K laptop

Why on earth buy a 2k laptop it will be old soon enough.

Why not lease business equipment, and pay direct from business account.

then after the lease just hand it back and get the latest gear again.

check out RentSmart - Because buying isn't - The Smart Approach To Renting works for me.
              Last edited by DaveP; 20 July 2010, 18:52.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                Why on earth buy a 2k laptop it will be old soon enough.

Why not lease business equipment, and pay direct from business account.

then after the lease just hand it back and get the latest gear again.

check out RentSmart - Because buying isn't - The Smart Approach To Renting works for me.
                My equipment takes such a battering I'd end up buying it anyway....
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I usually spend about 1.5k to 2k for a laptop.
                  My theory is that I use a lot of software on it and I don't want the thing going at a snails pace.
                  Also, it takes quite a bit of time to install all of the software and set up things just the way that you like it so the longer that the laptop lasts and is usable then the better.

About 18th months ago I was looking for another laptop to replace a top of the range 2K Dell laptop that was 5 years old. I almost bought a Lenova top of the range one for 2.5K but instead went for a Samsung one that cost £900. I made the wrong choice because the Samsung is just too slow. I now plan to buy a Lenova top of the range laptop before the VAT rise.

It's a time thing - I do not like spending the time setting the thing up and like to use the same things for as long as is possible - so 2k for a laptop that is usable for 5 years is good value for me.

- or - The Dell above looks very good but Dell customer support is rubbish which is a shame so I will not be buying the Dell.
                  Last edited by worzelGummidge; 21 July 2010, 08:27.

Comment

surprised people have not mentioned but AFAIK it does not have to be on one item. So if your receipt if > £2k then you can claim back the VAT even if there are 10 items.

Comment

Working...
                    X