• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stalling Tactics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling Tactics

You'll no-doubt recognise this scenario. . . . .

You're on-the-bench and ready for your next role. You've submitted your CV for a few roles which look ideal. But no progress, no interviews and you begin to wonder how long it'd be before you get earning again.

Then in one day you get two or more interview invitations. But the interview dates are days apart.

You attend the first interview and on the way home the agent calls and offers you the contract.

What to do?

Ideally you'd like to wait until after you've attended all the interviews and then are able to select the best offer. But, of course, agents and clients understandably what you to commit immediately.

Anyone got any ideas for stalling agents to buy time?

You can always gain a few days by the simple delay in paperwork, getting the contract IR35 reviewed etc. At any point you can refuse to sign the contract. And of course, until the contract is signed, the offer can be withdrawn.

So still go to the interview for the second, as insurance - unless everything for the first is signed and sealed beforehand. But for me, unless other factors frustrate, if I've accepted verbally, I've accepted, and I wouldn't then suddenly pull out for what seems possibly a better offer, a matter of a few £ and hour more or whatever.

What's more difficult is if you really want the second one, and the first one is just about ok. In that case, you have to weigh the risks. What is the difference between the two contracts? Location? Rate? New skills?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Winger View Post
      You'll no-doubt recognise this scenario. . . . .

You're on-the-bench and ready for your next role. You've submitted your CV for a few roles which look ideal. But no progress, no interviews and you begin to wonder how long it'd be before you get earning again.

Then in one day you get two or more interview invitations. But the interview dates are days apart.

You attend the first interview and on the way home the agent calls and offers you the contract.

What to do?

Ideally you'd like to wait until after you've attended all the interviews and then are able to select the best offer. But, of course, agents and clients understandably what you to commit immediately.

Anyone got any ideas for stalling agents to buy time?
      Accept subject to contract, stall using contract reviews, not being happy with a clause etc.

that being said, a contract in the hand is worth 2 kicks in the bush.....or something like that...

Comment

This >>> "Accept subject to contract".

A deal is not done until contract is signed*

*In our business it's not done until you get paid, but that's a different matter

Comment

As contractors we do as much as well can in the best intrests of our business.

I dont like burning my bridges with agents as you never know whats going to happen in the future, having said that i have been in your siutation more then once.

I would most definatley go to both interviews to keep my options open but there should always be a preference which are based ont he factors below:

Rates
          Contract Duration
          New age technology
          Clearence.

I went for role1 with SC clearence for 1 month and after two interviews with them i got the offer but someone else stepped in for a 4monther 20miles away which was a no brainer but as both roles required SC clearence i had the time needed to go for the interview with the 2nd client and managed to secure an offer there.

NOTE: i never let role1 agent know until contract was in hand and Clearence was in motion....she wasnt impressed but such is life and the work we do i havent got the time to keep all agents happy

Playing with time is justifyable providing you dont take the p**s

We are a business afterall
          GIGGITY.....!!!

Comment

These days even if you're offered a contract it doesn't mean you're gonna get the contract..

Comment

Working...
            X