• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC (Security Check) to Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC (Security Check) to Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearence

Hi All,

I have SC (recent) now, but now got a conditional offer and going through BPSS.
    Though I haven't involved in any nasty business after SC, always bit concerned about new check.
    Anyone here denied BPSS while having SC in hand..??? Any idea how much time it can take..?

Regards

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Hi All,

I have SC (recent) now, but now got a conditional offer and going through BPSS.
    Though I haven't involved in any nasty business after SC, always bit concerned about new check.
    Anyone here denied BPSS while having SC in hand..??? Any idea how much time it can take..?

Regards
    BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standard) is a set of standards and you must have attained these standards to get SC as the BPSS is a requirement for SC. As long as you have done nothing wrong since it would be very unlikely to fail a BPSS. A comment about BPSS is below.
    Employment Checks
    Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) (formally Basic Check) and Enhanced Baseline Standard (EBS) (formerly Enhanced Basic Check or Basic Check +): These are not formal security clearances; they are a package of pre-employment checks that represent good recruitment and employment practice. A BPSS or EBS aims to provide an appropriate level of assurance as to the trustworthiness, integrity, and probable reliability of prospective employees and should be applied to:
    I see around the web they quote a few days for it to be completed as it is just checking your documentation rather than in depth investigation

more info on BPSS here
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks for the very helpful information...thanks..

Comment

I've had similar; it won't be a problem!

It's a mandatory requirement for HMG, you typically find that the HR team will put you through it as a matter of course; formal clearances can then be dealt with separately.
        Last edited by Advocate; 8 July 2010, 16:52.
        B00med!

Comment

thanks for the very helpful information...thanks..
          Your welcome.

OMG whats that down there...must be one of them new rep button thingies...

Comment

I'm busy getting my SC transferred to my new client and it turns out you'll have to expect to go through the whole BPSS form filling & references each time prior to having your SC transferred including trying to provide evidence that you weren't working if there are gaps on your CV.

Comment

Originally posted by FGB View Post
              I'm busy getting my SC transferred to my new client and it turns out you'll have to expect to go through the whole BPSS form filling & references each time prior to having your SC transferred including trying to provide evidence that you weren't working if there are gaps on your CV.
              Thanks..
              Let me know outcome once you get info back from client/agency (since your case is similar to mine) also time taken for completion of BPSS.

I got SC cleared only few months back & BPSS submitted to agency for an MoD project, waiting for results for 2-3 days now.

Comment

I've just gone through BPSS and it took just under 2 weeks from start to finish. As in forms being sent out to me, signing those off, including references, returning them and then for the vetting company to chase the references. In the background my certificate was also transferred. Start Monday

What slightly concerns me is as a contractor the relevant company's HR department will not supply references. Fair enough, but if the colleagues you worked with have also moved on so being unable to supply a reference from a work email that coincides with the companies you have worked at we have to rely on agencies to confirm dates. Etc...

I'm not sure if this could hamper things?

Comment

Originally posted by digerido View Post
                  I've just gone through BPSS and it took just under 2 weeks from start to finish. As in forms being sent out to me, signing those off, including references, returning them and then for the vetting company to chase the references. In the background my certificate was also transferred. Start Monday

What slightly concerns me is as a contractor the relevant company's HR department will not supply references. Fair enough, but if the colleagues you worked with have also moved on so being unable to supply a reference from a work email that coincides with the companies you have worked at we have to rely on agencies to confirm dates. Etc...

I'm not sure if this could hamper things?
                  It shouldn't be a problem at all. It tends to be the defacto standard that clients HR won't give references and to be honest, your colleagues could be anyone so your agent is probably the most trust worthy and qualified source to give dates. The only problem is how proactive they are I guess. the number of contractors that must go through this process means they won't bat an eyelid when you just give an agent instead.

Comment

Thanks..
                    Let me know outcome once you get info back from client/agency (since your case is similar to mine) also time taken for completion of BPSS.

I got SC cleared only few months back & BPSS submitted to agency for an MoD project, waiting for results for 2-3 days now.
                    I presume your SC is held by your previous client now which means if you are not using it on this role it is ticking down on it's year before expiry. Have you approached your new client about transfering it to them even though you don't need it? They would be doing you a favour if they don't have to do it but worth a punt? That would restart the clock as your current client will technically hold i? Would be a shame to lose it as roles will always consider a current SC over a renewal.

Comment

Working...
                    X