• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday 2 weeks after contract start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told my agent when the offer was made so he could go back to them.

I also asked if the 2 weeks I was away could be added to the end of the contract, and they agreed
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
      I told my agent when the offer was made so he could go back to them.

I also asked if the 2 weeks I was away could be added to the end of the contract, and they agreed
      Loving your work on that one.
      Tell them at offer stage, not at interview, they want you by then and don't want the grief of more interviews. Could still go against you though.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        Loving your work on that one.
        Tell them at offer stage, not at interview, they want you by then and don't want the grief of more interviews. Could still go against you though.
        I still go by the principle of mentioning nothing potentially negative at interview.

I've still got 2 months of the initial contract and they've offered an extension (paperwork being processed) so I guess they're not too cut up about it
        Gronda Gronda

Comment

Happened to me 2 weeks into a new contract with a "large telecomms company". Was never seen as a problem - I ended up there for nearly 2 years.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

I remember starting one contract a couple of years ago and the very next week I had a ticket for the Led Zeppelin reunion, which was on a Monday. I had to walk in, shake hands with the project manager (who I'd only spoken with on the phone before that) and then take a deep breath and say, "I know this isn't good timing, but I really need to take next Monday off!" Putting it off wouldn't have helped. He looked a bit surprised but was understanding (I mean, talk about once-in-a-lifetime event).

Anyway, the real problem was that the next week after the concert my whole family, including me, got that norovirus thing that was going around. It was hideous, everyone throwing up and hardly able to crawl around the house. Of course, I had to go to work... it was still the first three weeks of the contract and they were expecting some action from me. I'm pretty sure I actually fell asleep during one meeting as I remember suddenly everyone was looking at me and I sort of said, "Yes, I believe that's the case," and they looked a bit confused and then carried on their conversation while I tried to shove matchsticks under my eyelids.

Of course, 'er indoors has never let me forget that I wouldn't take time off to look after her and the sick children, but was quite happy to take a day off to go and see some bloody pop group.

Comment

I don't think this is a big issue. It is best not to say anything unless they specifically ask you about any holiday plans. If they do then you have to come clean. But even so, one week's holiday should not make a difference if the client likes you.

Comment

Working...
              X