• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working abroad from UK, Dubai? How to start?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working abroad from UK, Dubai? How to start?

Hi,

I'm a long-term contractor within the UK market.
    I am originally an Industrial Engineer, for the past decade and a half I've been IT in Banking and Finance, Manufacturing, Industry including Gas and Oil, Insurance, Life and Pensions.
    I've delivered many minor and several very significant projects.

I operate IT and Business change, I am technical and business focused, something of a hybrid, hence I can relate and translate between the two, interacting at all levels.

I generally operate as a Project Manager or Programme Manager, also do Audit, Compliance, Quality.

I have my eye on working abroad, there is growth out there and I want to contribute.

Where do I start?
    Who are the agencies?
    What are the skills and qualifications needed?

If anyone can get me a foot in the door I'll buy you lunch!

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Steve,

I came back from working in Abu Dhabi in October 2009 after a one year contract. Due to Visa limitations, I had 30 days to locate another job after the contract expired or leave the country. During this time I researched the local job scene and found it to be very different to the UK way of doing things. There are some agencies from the UK that also cover the region but on the whole I found it very difficult to make any impression with the local agencies. In the end I didn't secure anything and returned to the UK.

Employers there generally like to be 'buying in' years of experience and qualifications. It is something they cannot get locally. There is a lot of competition from Indian companies to supply staff at a fraction of the cost of an expat resource so competition needs to be fought on quality rather than cost.

If you do succeed in landing something in Dubai or AD then make sure you have a housing allowance included. The cost of renting has cooled since the Credit Crunch but will still be a large chunk of your cash.

The other thing to look into is Visa sponsorship which can make you feel a little trapped. Everything you will want to do whilst there is controlled by your employer and the sponsorship - driving license, car loans, liquor license etc.

Hope you get what you want - it is a fabulous place to live as an expat.

G.

Originally posted by uksp View Post
    Hi,

I am originally an Industrial Engineer, for the past decade and a half I've been IT in Banking and Finance, Manufacturing, Industry including Gas and Oil, Insurance, Life and Pensions.

I operate IT and Business change, I am technical and business focused, something of a hybrid, hence I can relate and translate between the two, interacting at all levels.

I generally operate as a Project Manager or Programme Manager, also do Audit, Compliance, Quality.

I have my eye on working abroad, there is growth out there and I want to contribute.

Where do I start?
    Who are the agencies?

Thanks
    Steve

Comment

Try Monster Gulf and search google for agencies that deal particularly in Gulf work. Many are based out there but some of the larger ones have branches here in the UK.

I will have a foot long Meatball Melt meal with Salt and Vinegar crisps and Pepsi please (am easily pleased)
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Meatball melt is good, foot-long is setting yourself up for a sleep afternoon! I'm a fan of the Italian BMT but hot!

thanks for your link.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Try Monster Gulf and search google for agencies that deal particularly in Gulf work. Many are based out there but some of the larger ones have branches here in the UK.

I will have a foot long Meatball Melt meal with Salt and Vinegar crisps and Pepsi please (am easily pleased)

Comment

Thanks for this insight, very helpful.

Best of luck.

Comment

Client facing roles

Originally posted by Mr G View Post
            Hi Steve,

Employers there generally like to be 'buying in' years of experience and qualifications. It is something they cannot get locally. There is a lot of competition from Indian companies to supply staff at a fraction of the cost of an expat resource so competition needs to be fought on quality rather than cost.

G.
            If its local client facing then they basically will only consider Europeans or Americans.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Morison Menon provide information and guidance in starting and developing foreign business within Dubai & UAE.They provide services like incorporate in Dubai,Business Consulting,Accounting & Internal Audit Services,HR & Performance Consulting,Due Diligence & Business Valuation,(www .morisonmenon.com) & Set ups,Process Consulting & other Business Services in Dubai & UAE.

<Mod note. Please read this forum's T&Cs regarding advertising>

Originally posted by uksp View Post
              Hi,

Where do I start?
              Who are the agencies?

Thanks
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X