• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public sector contracting

Any ideas what impact this budget will have on contractors working in public sector? im currently working for a local council and they have just anounced there funds will be getting cut by 16mil so im assumming first to go will be the contractors?????

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
    Any ideas what impact this budget will have on contractors working in public sector? im currently working for a local council and they have just anounced there funds will be getting cut by 16mil so im assumming first to go will be the contractors?????
    There's no way of knowing what your particular situation is but IME when unions start to get involved the contractors are always shown the door.

Then the permies panic when they realise they can't cope.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SPURSN17 View Post
      I think you've just answered your own question.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

They are already saving money by having you there, no sick pay no holiday pay to fork out, with the cuts and impending freeze on recruitment they will not employ someone to do your job and presuming they cannot do it in house (otherwise why would you be there) then your safe as houses, unless of course your a project manager then your up s%*t creek without a paddle

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
          They are already saving money by having you there, no sick pay no holiday pay to fork out, with the cuts and impending freeze on recruitment they will not employ someone to do your job and presuming they cannot do it in house (otherwise why would you be there) then your safe as houses, unless of course your a project manager then your up s%*t creek without a paddle
          That would be the logical outcome but experience of public sector has taught me different

Last public sector place I worked had a budget shortfall due to crap accountant not doing his job,so they fired all contractors, dumped half the workload on the permies and for other half went down the local jobcentre and basically hired anyone who showed an interest and was willing to work for pittance, of course everything went to pot

Funny really, a lot of effort was made in the two years previous to this, mainly by contractors to bring the IT department up to spec and to properly serve the business, so business would stop wasting money by bypassing IT to directly outsource the work to rip off 3rd parties, we get it to the right place, get the business all happy and then they pulled above. IT was just left with the people who coudl not get another job elsewhere (few good permie hightailed it out of there when contractors were all let go as they could see what was going to happen) and service ended up being worse that it had been originally and once again is being bypassed for expensive 3rd party’s

Though not complaining too much, as I am now one of those 3rd party’s
          Last edited by Not So Wise; 23 June 2010, 17:34.

Comment

You'll be lucky to finish your contract.

You'll be even lucky to get an extension. All contractor's will be let go at the end of their contracts where I am (including me... ).

Still, there'll be another contract in the private sector next time.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Cutting public sector contractors will be a political rather than economic decision. Public sector accountants ain't up to much either.
              We should win in the long run.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Cutting public sector contractors will be a political rather than economic decision. Public sector accountants ain't up to much either.
                Bob should win in the long run.
                FTFY
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  FTFY
                  As I said - public sector accountants ain't up to much either
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    You'll be lucky to finish your contract.

You'll be even lucky to get an extension. All contractor's will be let go at the end of their contracts where I am (including me... ).

Still, there'll be another contract in the private sector next time.
                    WSS!

Despite the bollocks some will say about no holiday \ sick pay etc, etc, your headline contract rate is what they see so its obviously going to be in line for any cutbacks.

That said, I'd carry on pretty much as normal until the axe does in fact swing
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X