• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Re-Newal Decision

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Re-Newal Decision

My current contract is up for re-newal and I am going to be offered another 3-6 months. I have been at clientco for 12 months now and accepted the contract on a lower than the average PM rate, which have increased over the last 12 months anyway.

2 considerations i) there is very little chance of a rate rise upon re-newal
    ii) I am going to take a solid chunk of time off between next contract, at least 2 months to be at home.

So I have 2 options i) ask for the rise and if the answer is no, then do not re-new - it means I am giving up the lower day rate only anyway and get to have my block of time off over the summer. Then look for the next contract at the more realistic daily rate.

ii) take the re-newal whilst it is available ? I don't want to be stuck at the same place into next year with no rise and staying on this lower than average rate.

Thoughts welcome please.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    My current contract is up for re-newal and I am going to be offered another 3-6 months. I have been at clientco for 12 months now and accepted the contract on a lower than the average PM rate, which have increased over the last 12 months anyway.

2 considerations i) there is very little chance of a rate rise upon re-newal
    ii) I am going to take a solid chunk of time off between next contract, at least 2 months to be at home.

So I have 2 options i) ask for the rise and if the answer is no, then do not re-new - it means I am giving up the lower day rate only anyway and get to have my block of time off over the summer. Then look for the next contract at the more realistic daily rate.

ii) take the re-newal whilst it is available ? I don't want to be stuck at the same place into next year with no rise and staying on this lower than average rate.

Thoughts welcome please.
    FWIW: If you know you are going to be taking a break anyhow, just accept the extension. I normally take a 3 month break between contracts, so tend to stick with them until the client shows me the door (as long as either the client, job or rate aren't really bad.)

The way the current market and economy are, I'd just be grateful for the extra 3-6 months if I was you. Once this contract is finished, your "2 month break" could easily end up being 6-12 months, so think about that before refusing the extension.

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      FWIW: If you know you are going to be taking a break anyhow, just accept the extension. I normally take a 3 month break between contracts, so tend to stick with them until the client shows me the door (as long as either the client, job or rate aren't really bad.)

The way the current market and economy are, I'd just be grateful for the extra 3-6 months if I was you. Once this contract is finished, your "2 month break" could easily end up being 6-12 months, so think about that before refusing the extension.

Nomadd
      WNS

Think very carefully before refusing...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        I am going to take a solid chunk of time off between next contract, at least 2 months to be at home.
        Try and negotiate the 2 months off into the contract. I've taken 4 to 6 weeks off during contracts before.

If you aren't happy with the rate, tell them. If they refuse to give you a rise then take the extension anyway but start looking for a new contract while you are still working the old one.

I wouldn't let the contract expire, take a break then look for a new one. You might be off work for longer than you expect or forced into a poor rate.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Only turned a renewal down once, ended up benched for 4 months, it hurt more due to being self-inflicted.
          I would push for a rise but not expect anything major, even a few % feels good to get though !
          You should know your worth in the market by now and be able to tell if you can get back in easily. Also think about timing, Nov - Feb always seems grim for getting work (and always seems to be when I am looking !)

Comment

renewal FFS
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X