• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

.NET/C# Contract jobs with "FX Experience" or "Hedge Fund" experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.NET/C# Contract jobs with "FX Experience" or "Hedge Fund" experience?

Hi There!

I'm trying to get into .NET/C# contracting in UK but most of the jobs I've seen (example here: http://www.technojobs.co.uk/job.phtm....Net/view.html) requires people who have knowledge or FX and/or Hedge Funds.

I'm a bit confused about these jobs as are they looking for .NET Developers WITH the knowledge of FX / Hedge Funds? Or are they simple looking for developers who have worked on projects relating to FX / Hedge Funds?

Because it will be really a learning curve for me if I have to learn to get some sort of degree on FX and Hedge Fund before I can start contracting in UK??

Many Thanks in Advance!!

You need to be mathematically literate with previous experience of having worked in FX/Hedge Fund environments.

Basically if you have to ask the question they won't be interested in you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      You need to be mathematically literate with previous experience of having worked in FX/Hedge Fund environments.

Basically if you have to ask the question they won't be interested in you.
      WSS

Just like any other business knowledge requested by an employer, you haven't got it, find a way to get it or find another industry.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by henreman View Post
        Because it will be really a learning curve for me if I have to learn to get some sort of degree on FX and Hedge Fund before I can start contracting in UK??
        No, they aren't looking for anywhere near that amount of knowledge. Very few of even the fund managers will actually have a degree in it. Having worked on a project or two in the sector will be ample. They just need you to know the lingo, the industry rules, and how the business works.

Comment

All You Need to Know About the City 2009/2010: Who Does What and Why in London's Financial Markets All You Need to Know Guides: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Stoakes: Books

Foreign Exchange: A Practical Guide to the FX Markets Wiley Finance: Amazon.co.uk: Tim Weithers: Books

FX is a piece of piss to understand. Buy these two books to get an idea.

Unfortunately, knowledge isn't going to help you - proven experience will. Good luck getting some.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Unfortunately, knowledge isn't going to help you - proven experience will. Good luck getting some.
            You'd be surprised. I've just finished a contract where "rewriting our hopelessly outdated and unreliable FX and Fixed Income real-time alerting system" was the "poison chalice" project that no-one wanted. I took it on as a) non-one else wanted to do it and I could do it my own way; b) I saw it as a chance to pick up some good experience; and c) they were paying me handsomely. I knew absolutely nothing about the stuff when I started, but things turned out OK. Sometimes you can just be in the right place and the right time with the right attitude.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!! That is very encouraging!!

I will take a few FX projects with very low pay to get learning and experiencing FX first and then I will get into the market!!

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X