• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fake agent names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Might be a funny trick to try if you get benched for a while. What are the barriers to entering the market as a pimp?
    Very low, you need thick skin, a phone, an email account and you're up and running. That's why there are so many of them around I suppose.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Very low, you need thick skin, a phone, an email account and you're up and running. That's why there are so many of them around I suppose.
      I think the thick skin is the biggest barrier to entry then...
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        I think the thick skin is the biggest barrier to entry then...
        You also need:

Tenacity
        Fighting spirit
        Sales ability
        Persuasion skills
        Logical mind
        Database to keep track of what you've done and haven't done.
        Networks
        Access to the job boards so that when your network brings back nothing, then you have a backup.
        Full data security/protection compliance
        Money - Have you ever tried to convince a contractor that you'll pay them when you get paid?

The barriers are low, but it's not quite as simple as is made out above!
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Yeah, to be fair, I don't think anyone can do it. I was an IT recruitment consultant 7 or 8 years ago placing permie staff. I thought I'd be excellent with it as I have the gift of the gab and an Irish/cockney cheeky attitude. But I wasn't that good tbf. The sales side of things just wasn't something I was particularly good at, so I kind of agree with TAV on this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
            You also need:

Money - Have you ever tried to convince a contractor that you'll pay them when you get paid?
            You don't have to tell them that in advance.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
              Anyone actually ever got a job or heard from them again after sending a CV and adding the references? Ever?
              Very tempted to offer some bogus ones with a different mobile number...purely to wind them up / string them along when they ring touting for business that we're about to enter a MAJOR recruitment programme.......especially the cretins like this mob!

Comment

Working...
              X