• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fake agent names

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fake agent names"

Collapse

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
    Anyone actually ever got a job or heard from them again after sending a CV and adding the references? Ever?
    Very tempted to offer some bogus ones with a different mobile number...purely to wind them up / string them along when they ring touting for business that we're about to enter a MAJOR recruitment programme.......especially the cretins like this mob!

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    You also need:

Money - Have you ever tried to convince a contractor that you'll pay them when you get paid?
    You don't have to tell them that in advance.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    Yeah, to be fair, I don't think anyone can do it. I was an IT recruitment consultant 7 or 8 years ago placing permie staff. I thought I'd be excellent with it as I have the gift of the gab and an Irish/cockney cheeky attitude. But I wasn't that good tbf. The sales side of things just wasn't something I was particularly good at, so I kind of agree with TAV on this.

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I think the thick skin is the biggest barrier to entry then...
    You also need:

Tenacity
    Fighting spirit
    Sales ability
    Persuasion skills
    Logical mind
    Database to keep track of what you've done and haven't done.
    Networks
    Access to the job boards so that when your network brings back nothing, then you have a backup.
    Full data security/protection compliance
    Money - Have you ever tried to convince a contractor that you'll pay them when you get paid?

The barriers are low, but it's not quite as simple as is made out above!

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Very low, you need thick skin, a phone, an email account and you're up and running. That's why there are so many of them around I suppose.
    I think the thick skin is the biggest barrier to entry then...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Might be a funny trick to try if you get benched for a while. What are the barriers to entering the market as a pimp?
    Very low, you need thick skin, a phone, an email account and you're up and running. That's why there are so many of them around I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Has anyone ever tried this? Ie. Pretending to be an agency and seeing who is stupid enough to send details back.
    Might be a funny trick to try if you get benched for a while. What are the barriers to entering the market as a pimp?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Has anyone ever tried this? Ie. Pretending to be an agency and seeing who is stupid enough to send details back.

Mmmm. Thinks phishing scam

Leave a comment:

• andyc2000
    replied
    Anyone actually ever got a job or heard from them again after sending a CV and adding the references? Ever?

Leave a comment:

• achilles
    replied
    I have not done any business with this compamy but I have had emails from George Eaton going back to 2007. So I think he is real.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    Just had email from these monkeys wanting to offer me opportunities...and two references....yawn!!
    Just 2 references?... they're slacking these days.... they usually send me an email with "I've seen your CV on Jobserve and have a couple of jobs that potentially look suitable for you, however I could do with a bit more information. " and a link in to a website that asks for :

Current role details, 2 x reference details to "help add credibility to your application" along with the details of when, where and who you interviewed with recently to "allow us to consider you for jobs without making duplicate applications".

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Just had email from these monkeys wanting to offer me opportunities...and two references....yawn!!

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Not Serious

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    I had two emails arrive in my inbox this morning at about the same time

> Senior UI Web Developer - City London - interested? (Ref#xxxxxx) George Eaton @ Evolution 07:47
    > LAMP Web Developer - Dorking Surrey - interested? (Ref#xxxxxx) Ross Quilliam @ Evolution 07:49

Both start

Hi oversteer,

We are looking for several people who fit the following Job Spec, if you are interested please email a word version of your Cv back to me stating Salary details and Availability.

Some sort of bulk fishing email with fake agent names?

The company is Evolution Recruitment Solutions Ltd. I suspect this means when you call up "Ross Quilliam" the receptionist knows just to get rid of you ? Is this blatant fishing? Or a crap automated mailout ?
    I would not trust the second guy with two entries in Linkedin and both only having one connection but George
    has over 500 entries so I guess the company is real

Leave a comment:

• Growernotashower
    replied
    Why is it fishing just to get your CV?

Agency has job, agency has database, agent search database for cv with right words in it, agent call you!

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    it really is difficult to know if anything is genuine, unless you know them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X