• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 months notice - normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are reasons for firms to still want to use desktops.

If they have had people complain of backache or whatever from working then it's easier for them to say they do and actually comply with Health and Safety (Display Screen) regulations.

I've worked in places where you had to have a laptop AND a desktop.
    Surely a laptop + docking station would be simpler and cheaper?

Anyway some places will still have to use desktops to stop valuable data walking out the door and being left in the pub/train/supermarket carpark
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Surely a laptop + docking station would be simpler and cheaper?
      The reasoning behind having both is so that we had no excuse not to be able to work from home or anywhere. (They forgot the fact that I decide when I answer my mobile phone)

The desktops meant we didn't have to lug laptops in on public transport plus they were easier to upgrade so ended up having more RAM.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Anyway some places will still have to use desktops to stop valuable data walking out the door and being left in the pub/train/supermarket carpark
      They also have the advantage that your employees aren't likely to break them rendering the entire thing useless.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mobi View Post
        I received an offer for a permie roll. Salary is quite good. However, the contract says 3-months notice period in case of termination (on either side).
        Most higher end jobs have this. Last permie job I had this was generally negotiated down to 1 month at leaving time.

If you want to leave then quietly start organising your handover and skills sharing a few months before and then when it comes time to give notice, you have a strong case for 1 month notice. Failing that, join the Union and get the rep to advise you.

Can work in your favour though, I got made redundant with 3 months notice which was good for me at the time.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X