• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manpower

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manpower

Anyone worked for them? I've been offered a permy/work gang role.

I went for an interview recently under the impression I'd be an employee of the client should I be successful but was more than a little disappointed to find out I'd be nothing more than hired help via Manpower.

I can't say I'm excited about the prospect but I simply can't go on any longer without any money coming in, I only applied because I stupidly thought there would be room for quick progression as the client is one of the major players, I can't see this happening if I don't really work for them.

PAYE is the only option BTW and the salary falls short of my now very modest outgoings.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Anyone worked for them? I've been offered a permy/work gang role.

I went for an interview recently under the impression I'd be an employee of the client should I be successful but was more than a little disappointed to find out I'd be nothing more than hired help via Manpower.

I can't say I'm excited about the prospect but I simply can't go on any longer without any money coming in, I only applied because I stupidly thought there would be room for quick progression as the client is one of the major players, I can't see this happening if I don't really work for them.

PAYE is the only option BTW and the salary falls short of my now very modest outgoings.
    Did a short stint with them many, many years ago as a student. They seemed to be OK, and the wages got paid. Like you say, though, you are just going to be seen on-site as a "temp", which isn't good if you were looking at it as a long-term prospect. Then again, a foot in the door is a foot in the door, so maybe just give it a go and see how it turns out? Never know what might come of it...
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Again as Nomadd I worked as a temp through them years ago whilst a student. Always paid on time (weekly then) and they were always friendly. However it can be seen as a foot in the door as the place I temped at actually offered me my first IT role as they knew me.

Comment

If it were a temp role I'd just take it until something better comes along but it's a perm position with salary, 40 hour week, 20 days holiday etc. All the bare minimum as far as I can see.

I need to find out what the notice period is, I don't want to be effectively out of the game if I need to give 4 weeks.

You can tell how enthusiastic I am by the way I'm planning my exit before I've even accepted it.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Unless they're paying minimum wage, how do you strip your budget right down and still not manage to live off a salary? Giant debt, divorce or a different understanding of 'modest'... down to champagne once a week
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Unless they're paying minimum wage, how do you strip your budget right down and still not manage to live off a salary? Giant debt, divorce or a different understanding of 'modest'... down to champagne once a week
            Mortgage, wife and child, food, £500 a month personal debt which I've been trying to shift for years but keep slipping back because of this god awful fecking reccession... that sort of thing.

Comment

Well done, you deserve a break

Comment

The Manpower people in our place on a similar PAYE thing say they are c**ts of the highest order. Being Manpower also precludes them from being employed here. You are right to be planning your exit I would say, but a jobs a job when things are hard.

Comment

Working...
                X