• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things on the up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things will change but patience is running very thin now, this sort of stress is bad for my health.

I have a 50/50 chance of a local gig which I went to interview for this morning but the money is half what the first one paid, on the plus side they are using lots of shiny new technology so in the long run it may be the better option? I'm expecting the good news/bulltulip excuse this afternoon.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Papavar View Post
      Yup - same here. I've spent the last 6 months trying to escape one permi job for another... about a month ago I started looking for contracts instead and have had CV put forward for three jobs and got interviews for all three!
      Quite similar here too, this week I've had far more calls then I normally have for jobs from agencies.

Comment

strangly my place has had a permie freeze in place for some time now but are freely getting in contractors and more arrive each day.

Think there is now a 20% permie to 80% contractor PM ratio and this is going to carry of for the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by stacks View Post
          strangly my place has had a permie freeze in place for some time now but are freely getting in contractors and more arrive each day.

Think there is now a 20% permie to 80% contractor PM ratio and this is going to carry of for the rest of the year.
          That's because no-one wants to hire people permanently, companies are tulip scared of a dip back into recession so they hire people they can ditch at a moments notice.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by mobi View Post
            Not sure if it is only me but I'm finding more permanent roles nowadays rather than contract positions.
            I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

It was certainly the case in mid March too - just before the new financial year.

Comment

Oh FFS now the wife has called to say her job is moving 20 miles up the road, she ditched a well paid managers job in that location to be close to home for our daughters sake.

I'm supposed to be going out on the piss tonight to celebrate a mates 40th, great.

Comment

Agreed, madness today. Took a day off and worked harder than at work...

Now I'm struggling to remember what I've said to who rate/salary wise (still half an eye for a cock-on permie job). A second interview coming up, a Skype one on Monday, and five other agent calling back straight away type job so hopefully 2/3 of them will pay off with an interview.

Comment

Def on the up... I've got my first 2 interviews lined next Tues. 1 perm and the other a short contract - though rate is lower then prev contract which was less 4miles away (i was living the contractor dream). Anyways only downer is that both roles are in London and I live 100miles away! However I do love London in the summer.
                  Never Never Never give up

Comment

Working...
                  X