• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things on the up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things on the up?

My searches have been fairly barren for months yet this week my phone hasn't stopped ringing, I've had agents wanting to put me forward when I'm less than a perfect fit, my rate demands aren't being baulked at and I've got that rare beast from yesteryear a 'telephone interview' coming up, these things don't normally happen unless candidates are a little thin on the ground.

Is anyone else feeling this?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

same here, got a 2nd interview on Tuesday and had 2 other really good ones come through in the last week that I've said no to. I figure the one I'm in is also going to extend but I want the other one that I'm going to next week for a nice rate rise and it will cut my commute by 2/3rds.

Comment

I'm having lots of action at the moment (lucky me), but difficulty in converting it to ££s.

To be honest I've never been busier, phone constantly ringing, tele interviews, interviews up and down the motorway and actual offers left, right and centre.

But never seem to make it to day 1 at the office! Still, I've got something else lined up tomorrow so we'll see how that pans out. All good fun.

Comment

Yup - same here. I've spent the last 6 months trying to escape one permi job for another... about a month ago I started looking for contracts instead and have had CV put forward for three jobs and got interviews for all three!

Comment

I've had plenty of calls too with one saying the market was 'buoyant', being out forward for quite a few but I too have yet to get an actual gig.

Comment

Same here, 3 calls in the last week and i've seen an advert for what looks like a contractor role at BT too

Comment

Maybe client Co's are in a scramble to get contractors on board whilst they're still relatively cheap?

Time to dust off the old invoicing machine in preperation...
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Just been messed about again with another false dawn. Past caring, going to pub later! Really enjoying not working tbh, although I'm sure the bank account will start dropping hints pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
                  Just been messed about again with another false dawn. Past caring, going to pub later! Really enjoying not working tbh, although I'm sure the bank account will start dropping hints pretty soon.
                  Same here, I had a telephone interview yesterday where the guy said he wanted me on board and just needed to get the paperwork sorted.

Just had a call saying they really wanted me but picked someone else because he lived 5 minutes from site, I'm 20 minutes away.

I've had this sort of thing happen to me 5 or 6 times now and I'm am fecking furious, seriously I don't think I can cope with another rejection for a completely bulltulip reason

Comment

Not sure if it is only me but I'm finding more permanent roles nowadays rather than contract positions.

Comment

Working...
                    X