• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Video Interview over Skype

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Interview over Skype

Anyone ever come across this scenario? I certainly haven't, but it is for a gig in Germany, possibly the nearest I've got so far finding something in DE/CH.....

It'll be from my Skype on my Mac, in my house obviously, do I dress for it? Interview suit? Just shirt and tie, no trousers required? How formal are these things. I'll ask the agent obviously but just wondered if anyone here had done this?

Better get rid of the 1966 World Cup poster from behind me.....

My experience of working with Germans is that dress is usually pretty casual. I'd wear a tie and a shirt.

If you don't want to wear trousers, you'll be fine. Just don't stand up when the webcam is active...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Anyone ever come across this scenario? I certainly haven't, but it is for a gig in Germany, possibly the nearest I've got so far finding something in DE/CH.....

It'll be from my Skype on my Mac, in my house obviously, do I dress for it? Interview suit? Just shirt and tie, no trousers required? How formal are these things. I'll ask the agent obviously but just wondered if anyone here had done this?

Better get rid of the 1966 World Cup poster from behind me.....
      Had a couple of Skype interviews, given one training session over it, and also had an aptitude test delivered via it.

Check with the agent, but all of mine have been suited and it won't hurt if your minimum standard is business shirt and tie.

Remove any posters or pictures behind you, even if they're innocuous they can be a distraction.

Goes without saying to ensure the house should be forewarned to be quiet when the interview is on, you don't want the kids to come screaming in halfway through.

Test your setup with a mate beforehand to ensure the video and especially the audio is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Had a couple of Skype interviews, given one training session over it, and also had an aptitude test delivered via it.

Check with the agent, but all of mine have been suited and it won't hurt if your minimum standard is business shirt and tie.

Remove any posters or pictures behind you, even if they're innocuous they can be a distraction.

Goes without saying to ensure the house should be forewarned to be quiet when the interview is on, you don't want the kids to come screaming in halfway through.

Test your setup with a mate beforehand to ensure the video and especially the audio is clear.
        Cheers mate, luckily i'll be alone in the house, and I've reclaimed my 18 year old daughters bedroom as an office now she's off with her bf, quite bare now. The office not the bf, tho he could be.

Was gonna test Skype as you recommend, haven't used it for ages so I need to. Suppose I can always go 'cccchhchchc' and blank the video if I get an awkward moment - blame it on crap UK internet!

Comment

You know that old SS uniform you keep for parties?...go on I dare you.
          Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post
            I'm thinking Phoenix Nights, the 'Das Boot' Nazi fruit machine behind me that pays out in Deutschmarks. Or better still, Reichsmarks.

"Wunderbar, das Jackpot; Wunderbar, das Jackpot...."

Chances are the interviewer will be a Bob anyway, in which case out comes the British Raj poster and my best "It ain't 'Alf Hot, Mum" impressions, fuk the job....

Comment

Originally posted by dspsyssts View Post
              Or Fawlty Towers playing on the TV in the background.

I've done a few interviews through Skype. Definately do a Skype check before you get started. You know what the Germans are like, everything must be CORRECT! Make sure your room is well lit with a plain background. Formal suit won't cost anything and will make a good impression.

Good luck!
              Last edited by Wanderer; 27 April 2010, 23:12.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Had it today, wasn't too bad, not technical at all, very short tho, 32 minutes according to Skype! That could be good or very bad!

Seemed odd to me sat in my home office with my suit on and two Germans on the other end dressed like slobs! Who're the formal ones now!

Fingers crossed, role sounds well suited but as things have looked up for me lately, this one is not in my top three of 'Stek's Most Coveted Gigs' - perhaps that relaxed me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  My experience of working with Germans is that dress is usually pretty casual. I'd wear a tie and a shirt.
                  Yep WHS. No trousers or underpants though!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Seemed odd to me sat in my home office with my suit on and two Germans on the other end dressed like slobs! Who're the formal ones now!
                    10 points to you sir!

I must say that I've never felt over dressed for an interview, the only time I'd not turn up suited and booted is if I was specifically told not to. For a video interview it's only 30 minutes wearing it and then you can change back into your pajamas.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X