• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't Laugh - "Too much work" problem.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, each saw the other's response. I have issued the "sorry, it would be unprofessional for me to agree to take on work I do not have the capacity to deliver successfully" statement and they are arguing about whose projects are more important, instead of concentrating on getting another resource.

I can still see the "we haven't got anyone else, you;ll just have to crack on" reverb from Director A coming, I will just have to stand firm.

Comment

Originally posted by TFour View Post
      Yes, each saw the other's response. I have issued the "sorry, it would be unprofessional for me to agree to take on work I do not have the capacity to deliver successfully" statement and they are arguing about whose projects are more important, instead of concentrating on getting another resource.

I can still see the "we haven't got anyone else, you;ll just have to crack on" reverb from Director A coming, I will just have to stand firm.
      Blimey - It sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place here. Are there other PM's in the business that you could "borrow" on say a 2 days a week basis to ease the load?

What about using a lower level contractor? (a half decent, but not overly experienced PM can be had for about £320 these days - including agency fees).
      They might just be able to take the majority of the donkey work away from you, leaving you to orchestrate and lead from the front?

Finally, there are enough desperate people out there, that people will snap your arm off for a 2-3 day per week support role, and you could almost label them as a "temp".

This is common stuff at the moment - I was talking to a friend of mine who works for one of the big construction consultancies on Tuesday - they made massive redundancies about 8 months ago, and project levels stayed the same - just run with less people. Now things are picking up, and they have more projects than they can possibly handle effectively - ultimately the balance is between losing money, face, and opportunity through failing to deliver, and paying a little bit more, for something that has a chance of being delivered successfully.
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
        Blimey - It sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place here. Are there other PM's in the business that you could "borrow" on say a 2 days a week basis to ease the load?

What about using a lower level contractor? .
        No shortage of those on here
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Bit harsh to say the OP is out of his/her depth.

But the problem faced is a common one I fear.

Both directors have committed to delivering projects without really having any idea of time and resources required.

They cannot (or will not) ask for mo money as this would make them look 'bad' and will probably affect their bonus.

So they simple keep making the same ridiculous demands without any idea of how to achieve it - obviously their ass is covered as they will blame you.

As others have said - flag the risk highlight the requirements to remove the risks and push on.

Oh and expect to be on the wrong end of a whole heap of rubbish in a few months when the spineless feckers try to teflon the stuff on you.

But good luck

Comment

A further email would probably be a good idea, fire it to PMO Directors A & B, plus the MD \ Chief Exec & major stakeholders in the project.

Outline the problem again (for MD etc) & state (as you already have) that it is unprofessional of you to take on workload you cannot resource & that, unless your resourcing demands are addressed the project(s) will run into problems.

It is then worth going on to state (if you haven't already) that, as an external service provider whose contract is to deliver service "x", for <named> project(s), you are now informing them that they, as the client, are responsible for delivering you with the extra resources you require to manage the project(s) successfully & ensure they are completed to date, in budget & to standard. Failure by the client to provide the resources required & demanded (repeatedly!!) will mean project failure (go into detail just what that failure will be!) which you will no longer be held responsible for. Highlight all the times you have mentioned it in meetings, emails sent & include a copy of the demand for additional resources & make it clear that director A told you he is aware but just carry on regardless, so therefore all responsiblity for failure now lies with him.

I know it sounds like a "buck pass" but it truly isn't, director A is clearly a total tosspot!

It sounds to me like a typical permie manager type of "ostrich" attitude, expecting someone else to pick up the pieces & you can't allow it to go on, as you have quite rightly identified. The above email will ultimately highlight where the problems (in terms of management) are & you can assure yourself that once it reaches the MD \ CEO & the major stakeholders start jumping up & down (give it a couple of hours...!), it WILL be sorted!

I have had to use this technique many times on client sites - I get very "narked" when someone pays for my advice & thinks they know better...if that is the case, why aren't they doing it themself?! As has already been said, better to be seen as awkward than some wishy washy permie type who cant stand a corner.

Go for it & keep us posted.

Comment

Simples.

OK you've been logging this in the risk log.

Your next step is to present an Exception Report at the steering comitee and call a meeting with Project Exec, Dir A and Dir B in the same room preferably but VC etc is OK.

In this meeting review the Exception Report and present the Exception Plan for the next project stage, this will include your recomendation for extra staff.

If they do not approve your Exception Plan inform them you will wind the project down and produce the End Project Report then backout like a real professional with all bases covered and dignity intact.

I've had same situation countless times and they always to for the Exception Plan. Make one of the recommendations that YourCo can provide required resource.

Simples.

Comment

Working...
              X