• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permanent job adverts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanent job adverts

Having been on the bench for several months I'm now actively looking into permanent roles as well.

On Friday, I came across a suitable position at a large retailers head office via their own website.

When I followed the links to submit my application, I was stuck in a loop with a message saying the website I was using was for internal staff only and to use another link which was provided. However, the link that was provided was the same as the one I had been using!

Anyway, I used the Contact Us link to drop the recruitment team an email asking them if there was a technical fault and if there was an alternative method I could use to submit my application - I didn't want to fire my CV off blindly at this stage.

This morning, I checked the retailers website and the role was still being advertised but I still hadn't heard from the recruitment team about how I could submit my application.

In the afternoon, I checked the retailers website again and the role was no longer being advertised.

It then dawned on me that this retailer was only advertising this role on its website to cover the legal requirement that all positions must be open to external as well as internal candidates and that they probably had an internal candidate already lined up.

I regularly check this retailers recruitment website and when I checked it the previous weekend, this position was not being advertised so I believe it was uploaded last Monday at the earliest - a fact borne out by a Google search yesterday which brought up the role via a job board which had the role as being 5 days old.

The question is what is the legal requirement for companies advertising vacancies?
    I would have thought that it would involve them having to advertise the position for more than 5 days or is it a vague set of guidelines that they can easily manipulate?

I'm not going to do anything and will just chalk it up to experience but it is a bit of a pisser!

(I know, I know, a permie job, what am I thinking but needs must!)

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    It then dawned on me that this retailer was only advertising this role on its website to cover the legal requirement that all positions must be open to external as well as internal candidates and that they probably had an internal candidate already lined up.
    The question is what is the legal requirement for companies advertising vacancies?
    I would have thought that it would involve them having to advertise the position for more than 5 days or is it a vague set of guidelines that they can easily manipulate?
    What legal requirement? Is there any need at all for a company to advertise a position externally?

Comment

TBH, I'm not 100% sure but think there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        TBH, I'm not 100% sure but think there is.
        Really, why would there be? If I want to hire for a job and I already know that you'd fit perfectly, why should I advertise openly? Why would it be the law's affair?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Really, why would there be? If I want to hire for a job and I already know that you'd fit perfectly, why should I advertise openly? Why would it be the law's affair?
          Looks like you could be right as another Google search failed to turn anything up.

Looks like I was 'mis-remembering'.

Comment

I think there is a government policy that public sector jobs have to be advertised externally (thus wasting lots of time and money advertising roles that have been filled already) however I don't think it's law.

This came from a mate who works in the NHS that has had to re-apply for his own job 4 times in the last 10 years, whenever there is a restructure of the local trust.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

I also thought if they are going through re-structuring and making people re-apply for their own jobs they are obliged to advertise it externally to be fair else it will look like they are trying to get rid of the guy doing the job at the moment and so be had up for constructive dismissal. By advertising it externally they are being seen to be impartial and are genuinely looking for the right man for the job.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X