• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck in the ever downward spiral of IT support.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in the ever downward spiral of IT support.

I applied for a permanent site facilities manager role as I'm getting disillusioned with IT support, I have all the pre-requisite skills from previous jobs as well as the computer skills required to run the service desk.

Agent calls and thinks I'm over-skilled for the job, he wants to put me forward for a more IT orientated role... on £10k less.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I did five years in support (would have been longer, but I got time off for good behaviour). It is one of the worst jobs in IT. It is perceived by management as a cost - it brings no added value, just generates work - and full of useless people. Decent support staff are worth their weight in gold, but the ones who are able enough to get out generally do, leaving the numpties behind. As the area as a whole is perceived to be dire, salaries and rates are low. So the best people do something else.

Get out as soon as you can.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

WHS, this has become humping boxes around on minimum wage and will only get worse. Having said that, it does point the direction of travel for a considerable proportion of the IT picture, it has just led the way. Anything that can be done cheaper and/or outsourced, will be. Remaining jobs will be small in number and will only pay a premium for niche, revenue generating or significant cost saving areas.
      Run, do it now and don't look back...

Comment

you need to think of the long term picture, + can you recover the short term 10k loss in the future?
        and in reality it's really a 6-8k loss after tax depending on how your operating...

makes sense to take a cut now and still be employed in the future if IT support is on the down.

Comment

Working...
        X