• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References

Am now considering going over to the dark side (permie).

Curious about how HR would obtain references as for some of the roles (mix of contract/permie over several years) the companies no longer exist, my contacts have moved on, depts have been reshuffled etc.

How would permie HR manage this from an obtaining a reference perspective?
    Would it set off alarm bells or would they be wise enough to know this is par for the course.

What do they tend to look for in a reference any way?
    Just dates you worked there or in depth detail of what you did?

If they can't get them they can't use them can they. Game over. Nothing they can do about it. You supplied them. Not your fault if they can't get to them.

The use of references vary from never call them through basic form to indepth questions in my experience.

The most common was to send a 6 or 7 question sheet about dates and is this person of good moral fibre type thing. A few times they didn't even bother checking. In another 2 situations they just contacted the previous employers HR ( as the departments and people had disappeared as you mentioned) and confirmed I worked there. Nothing else.

I have had to give one phone call for a friend as a personal reference where they asked me about honesty, integrity stuff. Almost a mini interview which was really suprising as I have never encountered this before...

If the groups/people dont exist just give the HR of the company you worked for. If that doesn't exist then there is nothing anyone can do. It won't cause a problem
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My last permie role I had to give the details of every company I worked for in the last 5 years, which was about 6 companies. Many people had moved on, so just gave them the address of HR...

Comment

Oh and one thing that just happened to another friend.....

The company interviewing asked for two references which he supplied but implicitly stated that they must not contact them until an offer has been made. For one reason or another this company ignored this advice and sent me and his existing employer a request for reference. Needless to say his current employer was not pleased.

If you are going to give your current employer as a ref be absolutely sure that the current people you are applying to are clear they cannot contact them until the time is right.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
          I had to give the details of every company I worked for in the last 5 years, which was about 6 companies. Many people had moved on, so just gave them the address of HR...
          Going through this very 5 year checking process as we speak. Just 6 months after I last went through it... Contracting, eh?: all hassle, nothing productive.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Am now considering going over to the dark side (permie).

Curious about how HR would obtain references as for some of the roles (mix of contract/permie over several years) the companies no longer exist, my contacts have moved on, depts have been reshuffled etc.

How would permie HR manage this from an obtaining a reference perspective?
            Would it set off alarm bells or would they be wise enough to know this is par for the course.

What do they tend to look for in a reference any way?
            Just dates you worked there or in depth detail of what you did?
            I don't know if this helps, but for contract roles, I tend to give the Agency details as points of reference. For permie roles, if the companies don't exist, you could always try and find your contacts on LinkedIn and ask if they can provide you with a reference for the work you carried out at the company. I don't know if that would be adequate.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              ..you could always try and find your contacts on LinkedIn and ask if they can provide you with a reference for the work you carried out at the company. I don't know if that would be adequate.
              This has certainly worked for me in the past. Which is why I'm doing exactly the same thing for my current "security" check...
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
              X