• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Reference Check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Reference Check

Hello all,

This is my first post.

Does anyone know what is the routine employment verification for banks (Permanent Position)?

RBS, BarCap & Deutshe?

Just wondering what will be in the reference document?

To be honest, i have given reference for my exColleqs it was pretty standard interms of startdate, enddate, position held, final salary, reason of leaving, main duties, main strengths, would you reemploy ?

What else the banks can ask?

Comments much appreciated....

Thanks

i can't comment on perm but last time i did a stint at a bank they used an external vetting company who did the checks for them. One thing that stands out was any gap in employment in the past few years needed evidence i was active in society i.e. bank statments. to prove i wasn't being entertained at her majestys pleasure i guess.

Wish i could remember what they asked for you but in a nutshell they wanted to know if i was also financially stable. they will not take on anyone with cash issues that maybe tempted to, or coerced into abusing their systems.

if you are asking out of interest then fine. if you are asking because you are worried about something then IMO be honest. you might hide it at this stage but if they find out they will walk you off site!
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 April 2010, 02:33.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      i can't comment on perm but last time i did a stint at a bank they used an external vetting company who did the checks for them. One thing that stands out was any gap in employment in the past few years needed evidence i was active in society i.e. bank statments. to prove i wasn't being entertained at her majestys pleasure i guess.

Wish i could remember what they asked for you but in a nutshell they wanted to know if i was also financially stable. they will not take on anyone with cash issues that maybe tempted to, or coerced into abusing their systems.

if you are asking out of interest then fine. if you are asking because you are worried about something then IMO be honest. you might hide it at this stage but if they find out they will walk you off site!

Thanks for the info.

To be honest, i have nothing to hide from my CV point of view. I have the correct dates, correct designation, rate/salary wise it is correct...

Yes, i have a GAP in my CV infact a GAP for 5 mnths... but, it is down to family and i have mentioned that and they have no issues with that....

From a financial pt of view iam not very stable but, iam reasonbly stable and i have checked my score with equifax and i scored above 460+ for 500.

Would they check that i really have worked in the technologies that i have mentioned in my CV....i do have good tech in my CV.. what iam trying to say for example we may have used SCRUM not every elements of SCRUM.

Comment

Actual references are usual pretty sparse.

Generally companies will only give start, end, salary and position held.

Actual descriptive references are usually verbal, as everyone is trying to avoid being sued by the new employer or the employee if the reference is too good or too bad.

From my experience, there is nothing too heavy expected from a reference.

Obviously they may also do criminal checks etc...

I would recommend that you don't exaggerate/lie on your CV. It may be discovered and then you could be in deep tulip.

I've VB/VBA for a decade or more and I don't know everything, they understand that.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Unless you've been rejected previously by one of this big banks you've nothing to fear about...

Comment

As a contractor I have experience at both RBS and DB. The DB checks are a lot more invasive than RBS, however unless you are trouble there is little to worry about. I had a few potential worries but they turned out to be non-issues. The biggest problem is just the paperwork involved, especially with DB, but their HR are pretty good at getting you through it.

Comment

Originally posted by popint123 View Post
              Thanks for the info.

To be honest, i have nothing to hide from my CV point of view. I have the correct dates, correct designation, rate/salary wise it is correct...

Yes, i have a GAP in my CV infact a GAP for 5 mnths... but, it is down to family and i have mentioned that and they have no issues with that....

From a financial pt of view iam not very stable but, iam reasonbly stable and i have checked my score with equifax and i scored above 460+ for 500.

Would they check that i really have worked in the technologies that i have mentioned in my CV....i do have good tech in my CV.. what iam trying to say for example we may have used SCRUM not every elements of SCRUM.
              Oh no no no no sorry... The techie stuff and details of CV checks they carried out were as bad as anywhere else I have been. They made absolutely no attempt to dig in to my CV past the questions in the interview. They asked for two ref's and I just gave the pimps for the last two gigs so no way they could check what I had done against my CV. All the pimp can confirm is start and end dates....

I was talking about the extra finacial and background checks that banks carry out to make sure you are not open to fraud, blackmail and the like.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered View Post
                As a contractor I have experience at both RBS and DB. The DB checks are a lot more invasive than RBS, however unless you are trouble there is little to worry about. I had a few potential worries but they turned out to be non-issues. The biggest problem is just the paperwork involved, especially with DB, but their HR are pretty good at getting you through it.
                Yep, all useless paperwork so a few drones can tick a few boxes to cover their back-sides. Drives me mad, but if you want to contract in Banking these days, you have to go through this nonsense. Still, at least I sting them on rate, so it all levels out in the end.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

References are pretty useless in terms of detailing skills, etc. Previous employers will merely point that popint 123 was employed us in the role of xxx between January 2000 & July 2005. Anything else that may imply an opinion on your suitability for a role and they could be leaving themselves open to legal action either from you if you don't get the job due to poor references or from your new employers if you are not up to the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    References are pretty useless in terms of detailing skills, etc. Previous employers will merely point that popint 123 was employed us in the role of xxx between January 2000 & July 2005. Anything else that may imply an opinion on your suitability for a role and they could be leaving themselves open to legal action either from you if you don't get the job due to poor references or from your new employers if you are not up to the job.

The reason that i raised this question was merely because my contract was about to be finished in the last day of november and they told me that i can leave before 10 days because i took more time to finish off one job in that week.

BTW, i stayed in that company doing contracting for more than 1 year... i think there is something fishy and i do not know what went inside the management decisions... may be BUDGET? god knows...

Iam using a trusted people inside to give a ref. To be honest, my work with that company was very good and i have managed to hit targets.

If let's say in the ref if they say 'REASON OF LEAVING' essentially, it's contract finished right? btw, with respect to start, end date, salary/wages/rate they are all correct.... no worries...

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X