• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Absolute newbie question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing about contracting that I struggle with is the 'family holiday'....

Not only is it costing me the wonga for the actual 'holiday I am enjoying' I am also not being paid for the time I am there....

Double whammy!

Shouldn't bother me but all the time I am enjoying my Pina Colada at Butlins in Filey I'm thinking 'how much is this costing...?'

Fine for business, crap for life.....

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      In the good old days(when I first started) I knocked up a screensaver that would pop up on the screen and would show how much I was earning per second and accrue on the screen.

No-one ever knew what is was and assumed it was something to do with the stock market, but coming back from spending a penny and knowing you'd made an extra £10 on top always amused me.
      Me too, not a screen saver just a little counter in the corner of my screen.

Note to self, must adjust rate when I change contracts next month
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        The one thing about contracting that I struggle with is the 'family holiday'....

Not only is it costing me the wonga for the actual 'holiday I am enjoying' I am also not being paid for the time I am there....

Double whammy!

Shouldn't bother me but all the time I am enjoying my Pina Colada at Butlins in Filey I'm thinking 'how much is this costing...?'

Never ever think like that, it's just too depressing. I look on it as there being a chunk of my day rate that pays for the holidays.

That said, i always try and do holidays during bench time...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Never ever think like that, it's just too depressing. I look on it as there being a chunk of my day rate that pays for the holidays.

I know - it's the one thing I hate about contracting - and I am fully aware that permies merely accrue for holidays, and are not paid 'free' for them, but as I am the 'Contractinator' I should also be earning in my sleep....

Weekends too - wasted earning time!

Comment

I know - it's the one thing I hate about contracting - and I am fully aware that permies merely accrue for holidays, and are not paid 'free' for them, but as I am the 'Contractinator' I should also be earning in my sleep....

Weekends too - wasted earning time!
            Waking time not at work -wasted earning time!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nothing worse!

Which is why I'm going to go back to the dark side in the immediate future.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just a matter of calculating your earnings over 44 weeks or whatever, don't look at it in too much detail, just an annual number.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Just a matter of calculating your earnings over 44 weeks or whatever, don't look at it in too much detail, just an annual number.
                  WHS

Work out income over a longer period... (don't forget a Warchest though)... and budget for Hols, breaks, even "standard" benchtime (Warchest is for "non-standard")..... an enjoy having holidays etc....

If you start counting Holiday as "twice the cost" (cos of not earning) you will drive yourself to an early grave (see Stress thread)

Comment

Double whammy!

Every day not working is a day not being paid.

Every day working is a day not spent getting on with your life.

Which is worse?

Comment

Working...
                    X