• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hiring contractors through my own limited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring contractors through my own limited

I may have an opportunity in the coming months to recruit a few contractors to help out on projects working with old clients of mine. WHo knows, it may become a sideline Plan B.When does one become an Employment Agency? Has anyone hired contractors through their own ltd co?

If I have to switch to an Agency status, anyone know what needs to be done to setup as an agency? Some years back I remember a colleague was going to create an agency but he found out it would cost £12,000+ just to get setup due to insurances or whatever else needed to be in place for recruitment agencies.

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    I may have an opportunity in the coming months to recruit a few contractors to help out on projects working with old clients of mine. WHo knows, it may become a sideline Plan B.When does one become an Employment Agency? Has anyone hired contractors through their own ltd co?

If I have to switch to an Agency status, anyone know what needs to be done to setup as an agency? Some years back I remember a colleague was going to create an agency but he found out it would cost £12,000+ just to get setup due to insurances or whatever else needed to be in place for recruitment agencies.
    Why not just create a B2B opportunity instead? That way you save on the set up costs on creating an Agency. All you have to do is to make sure that you have done some due dilligence (i.e. make sure the contractor will pay their own taxes and has the relevant insurance).
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post

Why don't you just hire them under your ltd company, and have a contract with the end client to do the work. You're a business ...

Comment

Hiring people directly has its own problems - I know I've set up a agency from scratch in the last few months and had all sorts of legal problems concerning contractual obligations, payments terms, overtime, holidays etc.

Started off as a sideline but its keeping me very busy (with the paperwork).

It does take a lot of time and energy - I set the agency up as I got fed up taking to knob-head agents who didn't understand the industry I was in and couldn't tell the difference between Unix and Windows.

Happy to negotiate rates with the contractor, trying out fixed fees at the moment and another variations which may help the contractor get started - been a contractor myself for the last 20 years so know how bitter it can feel to be ripped off.

Comment

I have done something similar. I took the B2B option, you dont need to become an agency at all. I just set up business contracts between the entities, and paid their invoices as and when I got paid by my client.(which I included in the terms and conditions)

I wouldn't hold back if you need a few contract suggestions for B2B arrangements private message me.

I would check the terms of your engagement with your client though first.

It really isnt too daunting

Comment

I hire freelancers/contractors through my Ltd, but that's part of a team I'm providing - I don't think I'm acting as an agency in any way. Can you go the same route?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If the you tell the team what to do on a daily basis then I believe you are acting as a consultancy.

But if you supply the team members and they are told what to do by a line-manager with no interaction from you then I believe you will be acting as an agency

Comment

Working...
              X