• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accomodation near Heathrow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accomodation near Heathrow

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has tips on which areas are best to stay if I'm going to contract in Heathrow, I've secured a very nice 2 year role but I need to take into consideration living costs in London. I can fly home at weekends from Heathrow to Manchester, So I was wondering what are the best options during the week, some hotels I've seen are around 2k per month.

Does anybody know of any nice quality serviced apartments that are commutable to Heathrow.

Thanks..

Originally posted by virtualm View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has tips on which areas are best to stay if I'm going to contract in Heathrow, I've secured a very nice 2 year role but I need to take into consideration living costs in London. I can fly home at weekends from Heathrow to Manchester, So I was wondering what are the best options during the week, some hotels I've seen are around 2k per month.

Does anybody know of any nice quality serviced apartments that are commutable to Heathrow.

Thanks..
    Heathrow has loads of accomodation around it.

If you have a long term contract then hotels shouldn't even be on your list, unless of course you particularly enjoy that kind of thing...

I would recommend looking around surrounding areas like those below, which are all within a 10 minute drive of Heathrow (with buses available):-

Slough, Langley, Hayes, Feltham (not the nicest but well built up and serviced)
    Datchet, Wraysbury, Richings Park, [Old/]Windsor (more exclusive, nicer areas)

New build, 2 bed apartments are plentiful and won't be more than £750 a month in most of these towns.

Comment

Cheers Chimpmaster, thanks for the info.

You are of course correct about hotels, too expensive and not a life I want longterm. I'm looking for a long term rent so cheers for the info on areas.

I've started to look at Windsor, I think that will be a nice option, Slough doesn't really appeal to me.

Do you know which has the best train / bus links to Stockley Park?

Comment

Originally posted by virtualm View Post

Do you know which has the best train / bus links to Stockley Park?
        If you are working in Stockley Park then you are better of staying in Uxbridge, West Drayton, Hayes and Hillingdon rather than further out in Windsor etc as the traffic in the morning into London is a nightmare. They have buses that call there and it's a short journey to work and to Heathrow.

For places that I've mentioned look go to www.tfl.gov.uk to work out travel routes.

For the other places further out it's a bit more difficult.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 11 April 2010, 15:38.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you are working in Stockley Park then you are better of staying in Uxbridge, West Drayton, Hayes and Hillingdon rather than further out in Windsor etc as the traffic in the morning into London is a nightmare. They have buses that call there and it's a short journey to work and to Heathrow.

For places that I've mentioned look go to www.tfl.gov.uk to work out travel routes.

Yes Uxbridge is good for Stockley Park. West Drayton is close but a REAL hole.

SP isn't near enough to a train station to be able to walk from. Buses are an option - http://www.stockleypark.co.uk/Travel-Getting_bybus.html

I would think it better for you to drive down and use your car... or hire one down here. You can of course claim the mileage and/or rental costs. Windsor to Stockley Park is probably a 30 minute drive during rush hour. Datchet is a 15 minute drive to SP, and a 5 minute drive to Windsor in the evenings when you want to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

^WSS

West Drayton & Hayes are dumps so try and avoid.

Hillingdon is nice (posh) and Uxbridge is also good with a good high st. Another option is (old) Isleworth.

Geographically, these are the areas you want to target because they are easy commutes from a practical perspective.

Comment

Thanks guys - that was really helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X