• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prof Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance quotes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prof Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance quotes.

Twats, agent is insisting on a raft of insurance on the new contract else they wont pay. Generous of them to say if there's only me as my co's employee, I dont need Employers Liability Insurance!

I know its good to have and all that but I've only ever had to take PI &PL once in over 13 years.

Had a look a Caunce OHara via this site and their insurance appears ******* expensive if you ask me! OK if your turnover is 50k or less (how many IT contractors are on that low a turnover?) but really, you need to be in the next band upto 100k which immediately racks up the premium.

There's also stuff in there I dont need which you cant remove but still have to pay for ie office equipment insurance.

Any other options?

I found this site that has alternative insurers. About 75 - 100 quid cheaper too since the turnover bands arent as big as C O'H.

http://www.professionalinsuranceagents.co.uk/

Admin note: professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance available here :-)
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 October 2011, 14:28.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I am interested in what the quotes turn out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Babbage View Post
      I am interested in what the quotes turn out to be.
      Lowest quote for Prof Indemnity of half a million is £214.20, PL of 1 million is £34.76, a total of £248.96 including 5% IPT.

Comment

I pushed back the last time an agent asked for this, they just said "OK but we do advise you have it", I just thanked them for the advise and told them I would take the risk if it was all the same.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I pushed back the last time an agent asked for this, they just said "OK but we do advise you have it", I just thanked them for the advise and told them I would take the risk if it was all the same.
          Nah, they wouldnt have it. They said no insurance no pay. End of. I told them I'd never been asked for PI \ PL before (didnt tell them I had once) and had been with the same client for 3.5 years in financials and they never wanted it.

Wouldnt wash. Still, employees dont take PI \ PL do they so perhaps a weak outside IR35 pointer.

Comment

I shopped around but q'dos offered the best deal in the end.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Interesting is the fact that they'll let you on client co site though, so they can of course get their commission. If it was really required, you shouldn't really be let anywhere near client co without it.......

Bunch of scummers if ye ask me

Comment

Please bear in mind that not all policy wordings are the same. The wording offered by Caunce O'Hara, via ContractorUK, has one of the widest wordings available in the market.

I would ask you to ensure that if you find a cheaper quotation that it gives you full cover. Some Professional Indemnity Insurance policies do not offer full retroactive cover for previous work undertaken and some Insurers will provide you a level of cover which will be a shared limit with other contractors, meaning you are not getting the full cover you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Lowest quote for Prof Indemnity of half a million is £214.20, PL of 1 million is £34.76, a total of £248.96 including 5% IPT.
                  LMAO mine is over 2 grand! try adding US/Canada cover

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    I shopped around but q'dos offered the best deal in the end.
                    I got a stonking deal from the Co-Op....yes the Co-Op

let me know how it compares to yours
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X