• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noob holiday question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob holiday question

I'm a permie thinking about starting contracting this year (mid-year) but I have to attend a wedding in South Africa in late August. Is it possible/usual/acceptable to request a week or two of leave when negotiating a contract?

You have to stop thinking like a permie. If you need or want time off, just tell the client you won't be on-site for the appropriate dates. As long as they get a reasonable amount of notice I usually find clients are happy.

Do not bring it up at interview unless it is a major period of time out (in which case you probably wouldnt be taking the gig anyway realistically).

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Ok. So is 1 or 2 weeks contiguous absence considered acceptable in say a 6 month contract. Or does that still fall into the "I won't be on-site for the appropriate dates" category?

Comment

Originally posted by scumbies
        Ok. So is 1 or 2 weeks contiguous absence considered acceptable in say a 6 month contract. Or does that still fall into the "I won't be on-site for the appropriate dates" category?
        As you might expect, it entirely depends on the client and the project. All things being equal it would probably be fine, but say there is a crucial delivery the fortnight you want off?

As always with these things, to try and get out of the thinking like a permie trap, look at it the other way around. Say you had contracted a plumber to fit a new bathroom for you and the week all the equipment and fittings were to be delivered he told you he was going off for a couple of weeks. How would you feel?

Comment

Sorry LB, I don't really agree with the plumber analogy. Maybe if you have a contract to deliver product x by date y. I haven't yet been able to structure my agency contracts that way.

Plumbers won't be contracted to provide plumbing services for 26 weeks.

Comment

So what is your advice? Should go for it and start contracting mid-year and then, if I think the project can cope with my absence for the week or two around the wedding (say, two weeks absence near the beginning of a 6 month contract), just inform them that I'll be away during that time?

Surely this sort of thing is covered in contracts? It seems strange that absence would be left to the discretion of the contractor. Or am thinking like a permie again?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes, you're thinking like a permie. Either discuss the eventuality at the interiew stage - well I say "discuss", but actually you tell them that you will need those two weeks off - and any sane manager will understand and accept it, or find someone to cover those two weeks on your behalf (unlikely in this case, I suggest, but if you can, you also then have the anti-IR35 missile all ready to go).

Of course, the client may decide not to accept either option and withdraw. Shame, but that's the way of the world; if you have to have those two weeks off, then that is the trade-off you will have to make.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                Sorry LB, I don't really agree with the plumber analogy. Maybe if you have a contract to deliver product x by date y. I haven't yet been able to structure my agency contracts that way.

Plumbers won't be contracted to provide plumbing services for 26 weeks.

Of course, ratewhore, you are correct - you can insist on absenting yourself for those two weeks off on the grounds that there was nothing in the contract about those two weeks being a crucial delivery window, regardless of what your client thinks. However do you think you are going to get renewed if you do that? I've worked for some clients where they would have told you not to bother coming back afterwards.

My advice to scumbies is the same. Two weeks out of a 6 month contract is, nine times out of ten, and all things being equal, not going to be an issue to your client. Although that, of course, depends on whether that two weeks is somewhere in the middle or end of the contact, or a week after you start. Assuming it is comfortably far away, just tell the client shortly after you start that is what you intend to do. If the client gets arsey about it, you'll just have to play it by ear.

Comment

It's just never come up in my experience. I regularly take holidays and also days off here and there when i go and work for my other, direct clients. I've never discussed it at interview beyond a general flexibility conversation and I have had extension offers for each and every contract I have taken.

It may be different for software developers but I work in a niche market. Seems to work for me...

Comment

I'm absolutely not saying he should raise it at the interview. He should only do this if his two weeks off starts in something like his second week on the job (in which case not mentioning it would seem like he was negotiating in bad faith). If it's comfortably far off, he should brief the client and start setting the expectation after he's started.

If the client gets arsey about it (because, for example, those two weeks coincide with a crucial delivery) he then has to weigh up insisting versus getting the boot for being inflexible or not being renewed. With most reasonable clients, something can usually be worked out, but some clients aren't so reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                    X