• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurances: What is the "normal" level??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurances: What is the "normal" level??

Hi

I am working for a clientco at the moment and at renewal time they are asking for insurances from my Ltd co.

They have requested the following:

# £5million Public Liability Insurance
    # Employers Liability Insurance
    # £1million Professional Indemnity Insurance

The 2 figures stated seem a tad high.

I am just wondering what the normal levels are?

Thanks
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

The most common levels for IT contractors are £1m Public, £10m Employers and £1m PI. £5m PL is definitely higher than normal, but it shouldn't end up costing much more.
    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

I have £1 million public liability, £10 million employer's liability, £250k PL through the PCG insurance scheme.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
        # £5million Public Liability Insurance
        # Employers Liability Insurance
        # £1million Professional Indemnity Insurance
        I'd have zero if I could get away with it. My company has limited liability and they know that if they sue then they will get nothing.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Nice theory, but I don't think I'd rely on it.

They can still come after you as an individual.
          Is it legal to not have insurances? i.e. it is only a recommendation or requirement of the agency (even though it's in your best interest)?

Comment

Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people. The others I think are optional but people generally won't deal with you if you don't have them.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Employers liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ people. The others I think are optional but people generally won't deal with you if you don't have them.
              Employ other people I guess, rather than just employ yourself.

I don't have any insurances. Agency said I needed it when I got this offer but just told me to "make sure I got it in place at some point" ...but of course I got lazy and just left it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Employ other people I guess, rather than just employ yourself.

I don't have any insurances. Agency said I needed it when I got this offer but just told me to "make sure I got it in place at some point" ...but of course I got lazy and just left it.
                You may be right, there are some exemptions.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I've only ever had one agency ask me to be insured, I ignored their request and it went away. I may live to regret it but for now

Comment

I have £1m PI, £10m EL, £1m PL. It's stated in my contract that I must have these and even when it came to extension time, just before the sent the paperwork the agent realised the copies of the certificates they had were expired, so asked me to provide the latest ones before they would send the extension out.

Fortunately, it's not that expensive. I got mine from QDOS for about £250.

Comment

Working...
                    X