• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
    God I'm so competitive I even get upset when I see someone has been on the bench longer than me!

It's 17th months for me as of yesterday.

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
    FICO - Sounds you have been a similar situ as me. Are you able to re-format your CV so that it looks like you have been working for your Ltd. I have done this recently and that way you are not lying. If the agent assumes you have been working for your ltd - not knowing it is you and you only then so be it. Its not a number game anymore - its being selective and being lucky I believe.
    I have just updated my CV and have added travel to cover the gap as I did not have a limited

Agents are now asking if they I see the gap as a problem, I just try to say positive things, mention I am keeping upto date with my work my reading books and using a test system.

Comment

I'm still applying here and got this response from an agent today, I asked him what advice can he give as not sure what I can do, I am regularly checking the job boards along with the IT volunteer sites and still no joy

"I put you forward for the role and got feedback this morning.

They want to interview two of my candidates that have been working continuously and can hit the ground running.

Technically nothing wrong with your CV, just the void between your last role."

Comment

Originally posted by FICO View Post
        I'm still applying here and got this response from an agent today, I asked him what advice can he give as not sure what I can do, I am regularly checking the job boards along with the IT volunteer sites and still no joy

They want to interview two of my candidates that have been working continuously and can hit the ground running.

I heard this a fair bit as well from agents (had a 16-month gap in my CV, was looking for work for the last 9 of those), things like "It's not a showstopper but if there is another candidate with similar skills as you but with more recent experience he might be preferred" and similar.

I'd say the only thing is to keep trying -- I had 6 interviews and countless applications/leads before I cracked one last month, and finally when I got it neither the agent nor my interviewer asked about my gap. After my experience it seems to me the biggest factor in a successful jobhunt is very often simply "right place right time" - and that's something we have to wait for.

For weeks - months really - I applied during the day and worked as a waiter and in hotel kitchens in the evenings because that's how short of cash I was -- I don't know what your situation is but I even tried to enjoy the challenge of living on minimum wage (hoping of course it wouldn't last for too long). Still there were many times when I thought I was never going to land a contract, but I finally did and everything's sweet now, even going into Sainsbury's and buying a box of fruit and a bottle of wine because for a long time earlier this year I couldn't afford to.

Comment

@FICO

Haven't read this whole thread, but if you're getting that attitude once, you'll get it again.
          I think the only way round it is to go permie. They'll be a bit more open minded. After all it's not *that* unreasonable to ask for 37 current skills of a contractor.

You could always return to contracting in a couple of years, if it still appeals and there is a market.

Just a guess, but I'd say your skill set is not in huge demand right now ? Which is compounding your problem.

Failing that you should look at tooling up in I.T. skills that are in some demand.

Good Luck with that.

Comment

Keep applying.

Richard Cranium had a long thread (do a search for it) where he was looking for a contract and then eventually applying for permanent roles. He eventually got a contract after over a years search.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

thanks for the comments

I'm still applying and I'm open to perm roles also so applying for those too but there are not many roles around at the moment

but that agent actually replied back to me and we had a long talk and he said why don't you try your previous managers (which I have) and I said they are not hiring I mentioned they liked me and gave me an excellent reference.

he asked me to send this as he can attach it to my file to make my applications look better as they know me I have actually worked for them

after sending it the agent contacted me again and said how about we cut your rate by 50% to get your foot in the door as IT managers always like a bargain - he is going to contact his existing clients to see what they say

I agreed so lets see what happens

still applying for other roles too but happy I got another angle to my job search

Comment

the agent contacted me again and said how about we cut your rate by 50%
                No disrespect, but it sounds like you are going to get shafted. Make it clear to the agent that you *will* raise the rate with the client, that way you all know you are on the same page (and the agent isn't putting you forward 10% cheaper and pocketing the rest...)
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

definitely I will make sure the client is getting a cut price agency cost too if thats how I am being marketed to them

at this moment I haven't got any other choice as when I apply for roles even though I say I will work for less I'm getting nowhere as I am sure the agents want to put forward their strongest candidates who can command the highest rates and therefore more profit for the agency?

Comment

definitely I will make sure the client is getting a cut price agency cost too if thats how I am being marketed to them

at this moment I haven't got any other choice as when I apply for roles even though I say I will work for less I'm getting nowhere as I am sure the agents want to put forward their strongest candidates who can command the highest rates and therefore more profit for the agency?
                    If you do that, I'd make sure it's only a 3 month (or shorter) just to get something on your CV. Don't let them screw you over for 6 mths.

I had a 20 mth break as was caring for someone, about 7 mths of that I was unemployed, couldn't get a job as didn't interview well.

A friend got me a dire contract for 5 weeks, I then got a really dire contract through an agent (who lied to me about everything involved in the contract... I was out of there within a week, the agent eventually offered me a fixed term contract when I was off but it was an awful place to work, the pay was bad, so I wasn't prepared to take a fixed term role with none of the benefits of being perm). But the next week I got a good contract somewhere else.

Anyway... point I'm making. It's worth getting something on your CV, but don't stay stuck there if they are totally shafting you. Once you've got a job, I think it becomes easier. Act as if you deserve something more. It's hard if you've had time out but keep thinking that. I was willing to take a low-paid contract for a few months, and when I got the job I wanted I also had another role that was paying a lot less offered to me... but I would have taken that as it was an okay role, nice people, and interesting work, and it was short-term. Unlike the one I couldn't stand, not good all round.

However, maybe some people can be totally together from "the off" but I couldn't. I had to get something on my CV (and get hypnotherapy).

You will get something, keep at it, and get interview advice or help to sell yourself if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
                      If you do that, I'd make sure it's only a 3 month (or shorter) just to get something on your CV. Don't let them screw you over for 6 mths.

I had a 20 mth break as was caring for someone, about 7 mths of that I was unemployed, couldn't get a job as didn't interview well.

A friend got me a dire contract for 5 weeks, I then got a really dire contract through an agent (who lied to me about everything involved in the contract... I was out of there within a week, the agent eventually offered me a fixed term contract when I was off but it was an awful place to work, the pay was bad, so I wasn't prepared to take a fixed term role with none of the benefits of being perm). But the next week I got a good contract somewhere else.

Anyway... point I'm making. It's worth getting something on your CV, but don't stay stuck there if they are totally shafting you. Once you've got a job, I think it becomes easier. Act as if you deserve something more. It's hard if you've had time out but keep thinking that. I was willing to take a low-paid contract for a few months, and when I got the job I wanted I also had another role that was paying a lot less offered to me... but I would have taken that as it was an okay role, nice people, and interesting work, and it was short-term. Unlike the one I couldn't stand, not good all round.

However, maybe some people can be totally together from "the off" but I couldn't. I had to get something on my CV (and get hypnotherapy).

You will get something, keep at it, and get interview advice or help to sell yourself if you need it.
                      thanks for the advice mate, I'm keeping at it

Comment

Working...
                      X