• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you are not getting interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might even end up with a nice second hand car
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Dodgy's point is good and very concisely put. Alas however, I fear that BolshieBastard's comment is also true in these times.

Still, I wouldn't obscure the good with a flurry of little criticisms: as a starting rule of thumb it is worth looking at.
      Step outside posh boy

Comment

Thank you DA, at least you've offered...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've no doubt DA's offer was genuine.

That fact remains any advice would only be relevant to DA's perceived opinion on what he thinks a cv should look like. The next agent to look at it may want something else.

The bottom line is if you ask for a higher rate than the agent \ client is offerring, you are unlikely to get put forward.

In any event, as we are in the silly season with wish lists of skills being sooo long ((an agent sent me the client's requirements (Government Dept) and it numbered 37, I kid not!)), if you have 36 but not 37, forget it.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            In any event, as we are in the silly season with wish lists of skills being sooo long ((an agent sent me the client's requirements (Government Dept) and it numbered 37, I kid not!)), if you have 36 but not 37, forget it.
            Didn't you once work in the same building with someone who had read an advertising pamphlet mentioning skill 37? Stick it on the CV and then try and justify yourself when talking to someone that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              If you are getting interviews but not landing jobs then either you are not very good or you are not very good at interviews.
              I'm absolutely terrible at interviews. I almost invariably have to fail 2 or 3 before I finally sort myself out and get properly prepared instead of just winging it. Also, I've had feedback on several occasions recently where I've been given a positive report but "another guy they saw was absolutely brilliant". Which is, I'm sure, another way of saying "you are not very good" - or at least not up to the standard they are able to hire at the moment.

The other thing is that almost every role that comes up has some extra little skill tacked on the end [edit: as mentioned above] which I happen not to have experience in - Wordpress, for example, or Yahoo! Widgets (only done one of those), or HTML5 canvas or whatever. It only takes for someone else to have just come off a project which happens to have involved the precise skill they want and... pffft, that's me out-classed.

Meanwhile, the extras I do have experience with, like Zimbra Collaboration Suite, or Google Wave Gadget development, for example, never seem to come up in the requirements. The fact that all of these products or applications are based on approximately the same technology and can be learned quite quickly by someone with the standard skillset seems to be completely irrelevant. They want someone to come straight in and hit it. It's all very frustrating when you know that you are very capable but don't have the sufficient gift of the gab to convince interviewers.

Where can I learn gift-of-the-gab quickly?
              Last edited by dang65; 12 February 2010, 13:29. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                I'm absolutely terrible at interviews. I almost invariably have to fail 2 or 3 before I finally sort myself out and get properly prepared instead of just winging it. Also, I've had feedback on several occasions recently where I've been given a positive report but "another guy they saw was absolutely brilliant". Which is, I'm sure, another way of saying "you are not very good" - or at least not up to the standard they are able to hire at the moment.

The other thing is that almost every role that comes up has some extra little skill tacked on the end [edit: as mentioned above] which I happen not to have experience in - Wordpress, for example, or Yahoo! Widgets (only done one of those), or HTML5 canvas or whatever. It only takes for someone else to have just come off a project which happens to have involved the precise skill they want and... pffft, that's me out-classed.

Meanwhile, the extras I do have experience with, like Zimbra Collaboration Suite, or Google Wave Gadget development, for example, never seem to come up in the requirements. The fact that all of these products or applications are based on approximately the same technology and can be learned quite quickly by someone with the standard skillset seems to be completely irrelevant. They want someone to come straight in and hit it. It's all very frustrating when you know that you are very capable but don't have the sufficient gift of the gab to convince interviewers.

If you are in London come and see me.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

You dont need the gift of the gab but if you cant talk about what \ how you have done your last job for at least 5 - 10 minutes without uhmming and ahing, its a bit pitiful. Sorry like!

Its all about confidence. And confidence comes from knowing what you're talking about.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    If you are in London come and see me.
                    Do you work with skilled immigrants ?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      You dont need the gift of the gab but if you cant talk about what \ how you have done your last job for at least 5 - 10 minutes without uhmming and ahing, its a bit pitiful. Sorry like!

Its all about confidence. And confidence comes from knowing what you're talking about.
                      spot on. If you are unsure about something ask a question.

Comment

Working...
                      X