• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you are not getting interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Jobs go on JS after the agents have already called contractors about them. By the time it appears on JS, its normally too late.
    My last 5 gig's (including the current one) all came via Jobserve. That's 7 years worth of contracts. I have no idea what so many people on here have against it? It's free, and it's landed me loads of work. (And no, I don't own shares in them! )

I've asked several times around here for alternatives, and no-one has ever come up with anything (well, apart from the obvious: phone your ex-managers!) Oh, and LinkedIn, which was an utter waste of time (i.e. an agent's playground and nothing else.)
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      My last 5 gig's (including the current one) all came via Jobserve. That's 7 years worth of contracts. I have no idea what so many people on here have against it? It's free, and it's landed me loads of work. (And no, I don't own shares in them! )

I've asked several times around here for alternatives, and no-one has ever come up with anything (well, apart from the obvious: phone your ex-managers!) Oh, and LinkedIn, which was an utter waste of time (i.e. an agent's playground and nothing else.)
      ******* hell, are you obtuse or what!? The market has been good for the last 5 of the previous 7 years! My last 3.5 year contract didnt come from jobswerve. It came via the agent phoning me. Strange enough, the short contract I had before that didnt come from jobswerve either. The agent phoned me.

The only problem I see with jobswerve is that in markets like they are now, lots of jobs are advertised after the agents have their three cvs.

Today I received another call by an agent for a job I didnt apply for on jobswerve but had sent my cv off to them god knows when.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

******* hell, are you obtuse or what!?
        Thanks for constantly placing your personality at the start of such responses, that way I can stop reading them after the first two words...
        (NB. We covered the "bolshie" by name, bolshie by nature last week. Or are you just "obtuse"?)

And from another thread you posted in today:

I was also contacted by a former colleague about someone doing a telephone interview with me today. Didnt happen for some reason.
        That'll be your personality, again.

Then out of the blue this evening, agent phones me about a role they contacted me about a good 2 weeks ago. Cllient wants to do a telephone interview late thursday or friday!
        Hint: Try to lose the obnoxious attitude for 30 minutes or so during the interview: it'll help no end.

Feet on ground.....................
        .......and head from out of backside.
        Last edited by nomadd; 4 March 2010, 19:28.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          Thanks for constantly placing your personality at the start of such responses, that way I can stop reading them after the first two words...
          (NB. We covered the "bolshie" by name, bolshie by nature last week. Or are you just "obtuse"?)

And from another thread you posted in today:

That'll be your personality, again.

Hint: Try to lose the obnoxious attitude for 30 minutes or so during the interview: it'll help no end.

.......and head from out of backside.
          **** me, you take this internet lark seriously, dont you!?

Its a ******* WEB FORUM! How's about you take your head out of your arse and stop taking it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo seriously?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              WSS

Mind you little boys like fighting over nothing.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

**** me, you take this internet lark seriously, dont you!?
                ...Stop trying to wriggle out of it with claims of "seriousness". Your not fooling anyone, you little troll, you.

Still, that's quits for me. Unfortunately this forum seems these days to be populated by "noisy" out-of-work timewasters like yourself. Any polite, sensible and professional discussion over contracting issues is few and far between. Time for me to move on.

To everyone else: best of luck in your future contracting careers. (And apologies for the dumb reply Bolshie is bound to grant this post. Fortunately I won't be around to see it. )

Signing out,

Nommad
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

I guess it all depends on what type of skills you got.

If you have rare niche skills then jobserve or linkedin are more than enough I'd say. If you have common skills, though, then you'd better network through people so that you have less competition for the place.

I don't know about you but I always find interviews a very big question mark. There were periods where I got all jobs and other periods where I failed consistently most of the interviews. I just think that it's more or less like a penalty shoot-out in football, sure it proves that you can be concentrated and focused but also that you have had lots of luck. Oh, and it does not mean that you can play a better football.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                  X