• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time through SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time through SC Clearance

im a bit nervous about putting myself through SC, a long while back I was a rebellious teenager and got into a bit of strife with the long arm of the law. How likely is it that SC will be granted if there are a few black marks against me ?
    Last edited by Kez; 11 February 2010, 20:47. Reason: more appropiate

Originally posted by Kez View Post
    im a bit nervous about putting myself through SC, a long while back I was a rebellious teenager and got into a bit of strife with the long arm of the law. How likely is it that SC will be granted if there are a few black marks against me ?
    how long ago? if less than years, declare it. as long as you declare it, it will be fine. Over ten years, then reading the directions that comes with the form, you can ignore it.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kez View Post
      Follow the instructions - check whether the convictions are spent or not. If in doubt, declare it.

Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - they already know most of the information, they are more interested in whether you are ashamed by it and are therefore subject to a blackmail attempt.

I've seen people being marched off site from SC projects when something came up on their clearance - I would suggest that they weren't honest on the forms. The sight of them boarding that CIA jet to Tortureville, dressed in orange jump suits, being waterboarded was one that sticks in my mind....
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've seen people being marched off site from SC projects when something came up on their clearance - I would suggest that they weren't honest on the forms.
        I too have seen this. I have also seen them walked off site due to discrepancies on their CV brought to light by the SC clearance investigations, directly or indirectly I don't know.

I will stick my broken record head on again and advise that this question has been asked many times before. A whole range of misdemeanours have been asked about and most have been answered so maybe you can find someone in a similar situation.

I think the consensus is cautions do not show up and minor social type convictions will be over looked.

The search button will bring much wisdom.

HTH
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd recommend that this is the one time you must go for complete honesty.
          I wasn't aware that spent convictions were allowed in terms of SC.

And remember you'll be signing the official secrets act.

There's a description of the clearance procedure and your responsibilities on one of the government's websites.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Follow the instructions - check whether the convictions are spent or not. If in doubt, declare it.

Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth - they already know most of the information, they are more interested in whether you are ashamed by it and are therefore subject to a blackmail attempt.

I've seen people being marched off site from SC projects when something came up on their clearance - I would suggest that they weren't honest on the forms. The sight of them boarding that CIA jet to Tortureville, dressed in orange jump suits, being waterboarded was one that sticks in my mind....
            Yep. Seen that when I worked on the CRB project.

Someone hadnt declared they'd been done for having a spliff on the clearance criteria form. They mentioned it the day after starting and were marched off site being told they failed the clearance by not declaring it.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The wally. Little did he suspect that there was a giant, um, database of people's, um, criminal records!

Comment

I had an ABH, drunk & D, 2 drink driving convictions plus a few other minor court apearances and got SC no problem. Most of these were over 20 years old but I declared them. I have also been a licencee and again declared the above.

Comment

As the others say, for SC, just declare it, you can always send on that part under separate cover if you don't want your new employer to know about your pecadillos.

I have SC clearance, and my minor errors of judgement as a juvenile were declared, I still gotfull clearance with no caveats.

Funny thing was that at one site I was on a permie applied as a security engineer, the caveats that came back meant he couldnt be left in the secret room alone, so the permie and company agreed it couldnt work out.

Babbage

Comment

thanks Guys ... Im feeling a bit better, all the skeleton's that are about to come out of the closet are from over 15 years ago.

I'll be putting pen to paper this weekend get the forms completed ... I am still a bit nervous about starting the contract and going on site next week prior to sc clearance being confiemed however the end client have asked me to start asap.

Will be an interesting month

Hopefully this wont be me at the end of the thirty days

Comment

Working...
                    X