• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do contractors look on jobs.joelonsoftware.com?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do contractors look on jobs.joelonsoftware.com?

I'm in the exciting but scary position that my company has got an agreement to provide a small team to create some software for a client. I've kind of done this before, subcontracting work to freelancers, but am hoping to step it up a notch in the "serious business" front - hire 2 or 3 contractors properly for 2-3 months.

Because it's all done remotely, I can look across the world for people and have used this method before (if you are hiring individuals and doing proper interviews you can find decent programmers in Asia, as compared to outsourcing to an offshore company). But I don't want to rule out hiring one person from UK/US/EU to be slightly higher up the hierarchy tree.

jobs.joelonsoftware.com attracts people from all over the world (mainly western world but not only) but obviously it's not the main source of contracts in the UK - it focuses on companies advertising direct. I wondered if people here include it in their searches, of if Jobserve is the only reliable way to reach a wide majority of UK people? The issue is, a couple of hundred quid here and there on several sites soon mounts up so I want to minimise the number of adverts I need to place.

Do you know it exists? Do you monitor it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Oh, and the project is C++, involving fancy 3D rendering and wxWidgets and stuff, before I get a barrage of spam asking for a job... anyone who knows such areas can PM me but I imagine it will weed out the vast majority. It's also not going to offer a great rate by UK standards, though the technology involved may attract people from the games sector which pays less.

Not especially posting here to advertise, just to get an idea if the site in question is widely viewed.

Comment

I've looked at it, but there are never any jobs in my skillset in my area listed.

At least some show up on Jobserve, CWJobs etc now and again!

Comment

When I looked briefly it was mostly stuff in the states so I didn't check back. I guess you'll at least get people who are interested in software development (reading Joel on Software) rather than people who don't care and just do the minimum to make a wage.

Comment

If you are on linkedin there are various groups where you could post the job for free.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            If you are on linkedin there are various groups where you could post the job for free.
            I'd forgotten that, worth a try.

Comment

not this one.

Comment

Working...
              X