• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good permie salary for Australia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

120K is fine, you'll have a ball

Comment

Thanks mate.

I'm only considering it at the moment. One risk is I may get raped on the exchange rate in the future as sterling is historically low at the moment.

Comment

Re the GBP v AUD.

If you are taking money into Oz at the mo. , then it's a bit of a non-runner. E.g. you sell a house here and hope to buy there - no way.

However if you are going there with no money and have some spare cash at the end of the
        month from your job/contract, then converting the surplus into GBP ; it is now well in your favour.

Comment

OK since that last post... epic fail on the contract front:

Agent txtd me on the Friday evening at 11pm (in NZ) to tell me that the contract I was starting on Monday (in Sydney) has been canned. No reason given but then he said he'd call me Monday when i arrived, but of course my NZ mobile # is no longer valid in Oz and i now have a new mobile.

I tried calling him on the weekend to see what the story was but he couldn't spare 5 minutes to talk to me.

So, in Sydney, no contract, but having a cracking time staying at my sisters by the beach. This place rocks.

BTW, agency is Mosaic - further proof that Oz has it's fair share of chav agents as well as the UK!

No shortgage of contract work in my field by the looks of it, so now thinking that getting blown out by the client might turn out to be a good thing
          Last edited by Stan.goodvibes; 15 February 2010, 01:49.

Comment

So much in there I disagree with, where to start?

$400 is pretty crap, I employ testers on up to $700 per day with a few years experience. Now that's the charge rate to the client so take off what 15%? But still, to get $400 you must be inexperienced or are being ripped off. In general I find rates == UK (before the slump) at current exchange rates and are on the way up.

I found a CXC quote gave me less than I'm getting with my current payroll outfit and their quote missed several items and got others wrong. Be careful there.

$1 to £1 is just nonsense. A lot of things (with some notable exceptions) are more expensive even at closer to $2 to £1. Overall I think it evens out. For example the cheapest pub beer I've found is $7 for a pint. I've no idea how you can say $400 = £400.

Does your 'rocking lifestyle' include buying a house? Prices here are very high (in Melbourne they were recently quoting prices increasing at $700 per day) and I would imagine this is especially true for anywhere decent in Sydney. Are you in the city?

If not what's your rent? Our 3 bed place is close to 3 grand a month (in a suburb of Melbourne).

I'm certainly not knocking things here just trying to be a bit more accurate!

The good thing about the current exchange rate is that its great for sending money back to the UK.

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
            Oh, BTW, I start on $400/day, but going thru CXC I only pay 12.9% tax annually so I end up with just over $1500/week ($6500/month and includes pension payment already deducted). Thats ample for me to have a rocking lifestyle in Sydney, and from experience I always compare $1 to 1 pound - my quality of life in Sydney is about the same as if I was getting 400 quid a day in London (actually make that 'at least 400 quid').

It's different for me because I'm not converting back to sterling. I'll do this role for a while then try and get back into IB in the City and then I'll pay my mortgage off etc over here, because that works for me going this way.

In your case you go to Oz for quality of life, not because you want to send money back home IMHO.

Comment

So it's like 4 quid a pint? If you go for a meal out, then few pints afterwards, then a club and so on... what's the normal cost in downtown Sydney?

Comment

I'm too old for the club bit but I've been charged up to $11 for a pint in a normal pub.

A reasonable meal out would be around $35 to $40 a head but they often do BYO which can save you a lot (no corkage charge).

OTOH I can get a great hot lunch for < $10 from a local place and there's dozens to choose from; Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesia, Malaysian plus your normal Aussie establishments and fast food.

I am in a suburb of Melbourne BTW though I don't imagine Sydney is much different.

Your biggest outgoings are likely to be housing, health insurance and groceries.
                Last edited by gadgetman; 15 February 2010, 22:40.

Comment

@gadgetman,

depends on your perspective. I agree that $400/day was low, but I as prepared to bite it to get back into banking. Other contracts are closer to $500+/day.

I have no dependents and no financial commitments. So sure you can compare individual item costs but I'm about the overall lifestyle experience. Having swapped back between Oz/NZ/UK a few times I need to be earning at least the same if not more pounds than dollars ($500/day or 500 quid a day) to have anything close to the same kind of lifestyle in London than I have here.

And that's not counting for the lack of surf in London, which no amount of sterling can compensate for.

Other than that, thanks for the comments re CXC etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
                    So much in there I disagree with, where to start?

$400 is pretty crap, I employ testers on up to $700 per day with a few years experience. Now that's the charge rate to the client so take off what 15%? But still, to get $400 you must be inexperienced or are being ripped off. In general I find rates == UK (before the slump) at current exchange rates and are on the way up.

I found a CXC quote gave me less than I'm getting with my current payroll outfit and their quote missed several items and got others wrong. Be careful there.

$1 to £1 is just nonsense. A lot of things (with some notable exceptions) are more expensive even at closer to $2 to £1. Overall I think it evens out. For example the cheapest pub beer I've found is $7 for a pint. I've no idea how you can say $400 = £400.

Does your 'rocking lifestyle' include buying a house? Prices here are very high (in Melbourne they were recently quoting prices increasing at $700 per day) and I would imagine this is especially true for anywhere decent in Sydney. Are you in the city?

If not what's your rent? Our 3 bed place is close to 3 grand a month (in a suburb of Melbourne).

I'm certainly not knocking things here just trying to be a bit more accurate!

The good thing about the current exchange rate is that its great for sending money back to the UK.
                    Regarding CXC's quote and details - can you expand a bit on things to look out for ? - On the testing front are you looking for resource at the moment - I am currently in Melbourne (Middle Park) ?

Comment

Gosh it was a long time ago now but I think CXC quoted incorrect values for LAFHA and my novated lease and left out certain expenses that ITG said I could claim.

I am indeed currently looking for testers, 3 in fact but the current roles require significant Agile experience. I also have plans for another 14 Senior TA and TA roles within my SIT team over the next month to 6 weeks. These do not need Agile. PM me your CV if your are interested.

Current role is on St Kilda Road, not far from you

Originally posted by weemster View Post
                      Regarding CXC's quote and details - can you expand a bit on things to look out for ? - On the testing front are you looking for resource at the moment - I am currently in Melbourne (Middle Park) ?

Comment

Working...
                      X