• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good permie salary for Australia?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a nice pad in Manly Vale you can rent out when you get there...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
      I've got a nice pad in Manly Vale you can rent out when you get there...
      I just scored an epic up-to-2-years contract in Seeedney with HCL but working in a bank. I'll be living in Freshwater... see you at the beach next week!!!

:-)

Comment

Oh, BTW, I start on $400/day, but going thru CXC I only pay 12.9% tax annually so I end up with just over $1500/week ($6500/month and includes pension payment already deducted). Thats ample for me to have a rocking lifestyle in Sydney, and from experience I always compare $1 to 1 pound - my quality of life in Sydney is about the same as if I was getting 400 quid a day in London (actually make that 'at least 400 quid').

It's different for me because I'm not converting back to sterling. I'll do this role for a while then try and get back into IB in the City and then I'll pay my mortgage off etc over here, because that works for me going this way.

In your case you go to Oz for quality of life, not because you want to send money back home IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
          Oh, BTW, I start on $400/day, but going thru CXC I only pay 12.9% tax annually so I end up with just over $1500/week ($6500/month and includes pension payment already deducted). Thats ample for me to have a rocking lifestyle in Sydney, and from experience I always compare $1 to 1 pound - my quality of life in Sydney is about the same as if I was getting 400 quid a day in London (actually make that 'at least 400 quid').

It's different for me because I'm not converting back to sterling. I'll do this role for a while then try and get back into IB in the City and then I'll pay my mortgage off etc over here, because that works for me going this way.

In your case you go to Oz for quality of life, not because you want to send money back home IMHO.
          Hummm.....$400 a day....goes to show how weak the Oz market is atm. Melbourne is expensive enough, Sydney is even worse but at least as a foreigner you'll be able to claim your rent etc as pre-tax, unfortunately for us Oz citizens that's not really an option.

Comment

Oz Market is weak for inexperienced/ say less than 5-8 years experience, the agencies push the rate down, the clients know they can get a better more experienced contractor for less, at least the short sighted ones do.

400 is too low for a family of say 4/5, but one guy on his own, with the tax concessions, you'll have a hoot.

120K per annum (lets be careful about the compulsary super here) is actually 109% of the salary, so 120 gross is actually 110 +10k super, so don't fall into that old trap.

120K is also not do-able for a family ,I'd say more like 140 + super which is about 153K as a mimimum.

Sydney is just as expensive as London, has no real effective public transport to talk of, and is more expensive in terms of finding a place to live.

The markets's smaller, so the old rule of contracting to learn a hard skill make you lots money glasshopper, does not really work as if you choose something rare, the chances are that once you've finished the initial work, you'll have diffiulty in finding a repeat contract and will have to settle for generic rates and jobs.

Comment

Yeah both Melbourne and Sydney as just as or more expensive to live in than London and our wages/contract rates are much less. I took a 60% cut coming back here (damn those UK visa changes), it's not much fun really....and that was based on the getting low to what they had been London rates and the current poor GBP->AUD exchange rate.

Comment

Well I'm single so no family to support.

First I've heard of tax exemptions so looks like LAFH allowance could give me 20k or so AUD tax free.

Comment

This website is about contracting in the UK.

HTH
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Dscum,

you originally said 64K +5 salary, if this makes 69K, then that's a pretty low average, I've no idea what you earned in the UK, but I went from 80Kgbp (in the city) to 110K aus about 7 years ago and it's taken the best part of 5 years to get back to 150K in oz, and I'm still not on a par with UK earnings.

Don't go too low

Comment

No salary is 64k GBP and question is whether 120k AUD is roughly equivalent taking everything in to consideration.

Comment

Working...
                      X