• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The biggest pair you'll see all day...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest pair you'll see all day...

Well it got you to read the thread anyway!

I'm trying to decide whether to take the permie route and skill up for my next round of contracting or take a short (3 month but with renewal potential) contract that wont really improve my skillset but has a good rate?

Both options seem immediately available to me.

Anybody taken either route?

What are your thoughts?
    B00med!

Skill up like a mother lover. I'm skilling up as we speak, whilst on contract, ohh yeah.

My veiw is that the recession has raised the bar, what i'm doing at the minute would've commanded around 350 a day a couple of years ago, most adverts you see now you are lucky to get 200. So i'm skilling up to make myself more competative on the upturn.

Comment

This is of course highly circumstantial and depends on a whole host of factors you have mentioned so not one opinion given from here on in will be relavant to you IMHO

What you need to do is put a load of questions down on a piece of paper, answer them and then look at it. Questions I would be asking myself are..

Is my current skillset old, diluted, to general.
      What is the market for my skillset currently and how long will it be applicable.
      Can I live on permie wage
      Is the re-skilling in the permie job a niche area or generic.
      What is the market and rates like for the skillset you will come out with.
      Where would i be in 2 years time if I took either route.

From these and a few more questions you add you should now understand the situation you are in and the situation you could be in after your permie stint.

That should help make your decision a little easier.

P.S. If Tykemerc or Miss Poppins appear pointing out my lack of question marks I shall take a big stick to them both. The key has broken on my KB ok!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X