• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth sending cover letters with applications to agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth sending cover letters with applications to agencies?

Well??

I've been writing a few cover letters lately, and am starting to think it'd have been a better use of my time not to bother. I've only had one call back from applications I've made in response to ads and I suspect the agent would have called even without my cover letter. All other apps I've had no response to my only leads have been from agents calling me after finding my CV online.

I get the impression the CV is the important thing and the agent will just scan the CV to see if they see the required skills/experience on there, if so they'll read the details and make a decision to call you for more info or not, otherwise bin.. Reading a cover letter just takes up an unnecessary 30 seconds for them.

I guess for perm roles it might be a different story, but I still suspect that agents probably don't pay too much attention to them even for perm roles

Originally posted by tommyc View Post
    Reading this post just wasted 30 seconds of your life

Seriously - I think you answered your own question..........

Comment

Applied for a SC gig recently - didn't put that i had SC on my CV, but did clearly state that i had it as one of the reasons why they should give me the contract on the letter i lovingly grafted for hours.

Agent calls me the next day and asks "Only one stumbling block, have you got any form for clearance?" So **** 'em, i only send out my standard CV now.

Comment

If you're going to write a covering letter, do it in the email - there's no point in attaching it to mail - we simply will not read it.

I know that sounds harsh - but believe it or not - recruiters do graft in the background to find the right people - we do have a tendancy to scan read - although, missing SC clearance when that's a key consideration, is a cardinal sin in my opinion.
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Much like tailoring your CV for every application, i see cover letters with web applications as a waste of time and something which has been though of as important by another useless career advisor.

Now if we still had to post our CV's then I could see the point of the covering letter as you'll want to explain why you're sending your CV to them!

In summary, if it's important enough that the recruiter needs to know about it then it should be on the CV
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

For the first few hundred applications I made in the last year, I dutifully wrote a tailored covering letter for every one.

Then every other one.

Then just the gigs I really, really wanted.

I reckon I have written and sent 400 of them.

I do not think a single one has been read.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              For the first few hundred applications I made in the last year, I dutifully wrote a tailored covering letter for every one.

Then every other one.
              Then just the gigs I really, really wanted.
              I reckon I have written and sent 400 of the
              I do not think a single one has been read.
              Richard, have you rejigged your CV after consulting with a professional person who deals with those every day, or had it reviewed by someone in upper management who is also technical?

Due to an agent basically adding lies and deleting useful information from my CV 3 years ago, I strangely found other agencies then had this CV, and I had got myself a 'bad name' for changing it and lying, when in reality I had done nothing of the sort.

I suppose the next thing is to consider moving to London, perhaps even test using another name on the CV? It could be that your name is unique, you have been written off by a few agencies once, and have trouble getting the big ones we all see posting advcerts to notice you again.

With someone at your level or expertise I would have expected them by now to be exploring other qualifications and aveneus for work. Just because you've done certain types of projects or technical matters in the past doesn't mean you're not adept at learning new technologies, just right now the market isn't willing to give people a chance who are capable, in case of failure.

A lot of material can be downloaded for free (ebooks etc) - I'm not patronising you, just providing some advice. It may well be you've already been exploring other avenues, but I do know people in the same boat as yourself who genuinely have not upskilled in other areas at all after being out of a job for a year or two.

Comment

I send slightly specific cover letters if it asks to do so, and also if the job is one I really want.

Given the low numbers of roles people would apply for per day assuming they've not got a hugely diverse multi-sector skillset, I think that it's worth it just on the off-chance the agent is munching a sandwich and ends up opening it.

The image of professionality is very important, and for the amount of seconds it takes me to type up or edit a covering letter, I feel that is worth the small amount of time.

If appying for a permanent position then I'd definitely include a cover letter, especially if it's direct to the company.

Comment

Waste of time. HTH.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Waste of time. HTH.
                    What they all said, essentially it's a waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X