• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie - Confusing Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - Confusing Contract

As the title suggests, I'm quite new to contracting. I've just been accepted for a contract, however I'm slightly(/very) confused about the contract....or rather if its a contract position that I've actually been offered.......

So the story goes, I saw a vacancy with quite a low rate (in pa, not p/d or p/h), but unfortunately I'm not in the positon to turn it down, so I applied. Within minutes the agent calls me, "I'm going to put your CV forward, are you available for interview tomorrow?" The answers yes, as I'm quite desperate and being new to the contractor scene I assume that interviews are arranged quickly. Later the agent confirms that I have an interview and I'm asked to come into the office before the interview.......I had read a couple of days before on here that some of you attend and some don't, but again being in my positon I decide to attend. So I arrive, I fill out candidate registration forms, do a test and then meet my agent. My agent tells me about the job, goes through my last employment, etc. I go to my interview. I get asked strange questions, nothing about my work history/hobbies/family/etc and assume that this is how it feels to be a contractor. They ask what I'm after, I tell them, job done. That afternoon agent calls me. They want to see me again the next day - perfect! I arrive, and we get on with the interview. At that point the job role has slightly changed. I obviously question this and interviewers look at each other confuslingly and compare the job role with what my agent has told me - agent told me that I would be working on 1st Line Helpdesk, interviewers tell me that I'm doing half/half of 1st & 2nd line (should the rate go up?) Ok, then they really confuse me by asking how many holiday days I have booked and telling me I am entitled to 10 days PAID holiday (is this a contract?) At which point I grab the opportunity to book a couple and leave. Agent calls me, tells me I've got the job at which point I ask who's employing me, she answers the company and that I would be an employee of theirs(more alarm bells).

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but am I right to hesitant. The rate, I'll be honest, is pennies compared to what I should be paying or even what the going rate is. I've been told its for 6 months without possible extension. However, I've also been told I have paid holiday and that there could be progression through the company in the 6 months. I thought as a contractor you worked for yourself and you did the job you were contracted to do.......

What you have there is a "fixed term contract" which is not a contract at all. Nor is it "temping". It is a way of employing someone dirt cheap and has NO advantages to the employee. I think it is a nasty practice designed to screw people just because it is an employer's market right now.

If you can afford to do so, tell them to stick it up their arse. And don't worry about the agent's reaction, there are hundreds of agencies and no such thing as a blacklist.

If you can't afford to do so, grin and bear it while continuing to apply for contracts elsewhere. Continue to read up on contracting (see the guides on the links on the right of this page) and when you get something else, tell your current ClientCo you are leaving today and there's bugger all they can do about it. 'Cos you can be sure they'll do it to you if their circumstances change.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

As RC said - it's basically a fixed term employment.

I guess it depends whether you want to be a contractor, or whether you're happy to be an employee.

Comment

If you find something better just give 4 weeks notice and leave, they can't do anything, you're not a contractor, just a temporary employee with all the associated rights.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I knew that something wasn't right! Oh well, as I'm not in the position, I'll have to grin and bear it for the time being.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Goalie33 View Post
            , I saw a vacancy with quite a low rate (in pa, not p/d or p/h),
            The pa quote is normally the biggest warning sign in an advert that it is either not really a contract or agency have totally clueless

Being asked to come in to meet agency is the next biggest one (majority of contracts never meet the agent before, during or after

Being asked to fill out agency forms by agency is guarantee it is not a contract

Basically they have contract to supply people to client in a quasi permanent roles but with as few of the benefits as client can get away with, been seeing more of these since Gov increased protections/benefits to temps

Comment

Working...
            X