• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI number request?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No and good question, isn't it that your NI number is often'd used as a form of identification?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      No and good question, isn't it that your NI number is often'd used as a form of identification?
      Generally only if you are between 16-18 as you don't tend to have other ID apart from your birth certificate.

Just change the last few digits on your NI number. Lots of people get theirs wrong by mistake.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Their reasons are nonsense. They could just give you a reference code if it is for ID/proof agent has spoken to you purposes. NI numbers are also handy for working out somebody's age - could you play the possible age discrimination card here?
        That's DVLA driver numbers I think!

Was I was in Accountancy doing payroll and someone had no NINO we'd use the then accepted format, TN, date of birth, sex, ie TN01011970F TN being temporary number, F for, oooh err, Female.....

Not supposed to be allowed now but so many still use the old system...

Comment

The Preferred Supplier (who wasnt even my agency!) at my last client wanted my NI number but I wouldnt give it to them. Told them they didnt need it.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
            Is this a certain telco in Maidenhead? If so then yes this is indeed their standard practice. And in any case, what can they do with your NI number? Pay some tax for you?

Yes..I was about to mention the same. This Maidenhead (office in Newport/Wales too) based Telco equip vendor is doing the same for last 3-4 years NINO & DOB needed. Its for pimps to upload CV to their recruitment portal. You need not give correct NINO, if you haven't given previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              How does that work?
              From temp NINO you will be able to see DOB & sex, not from HMRC NINO.

Comment

Working...
              X