• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renew Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Renew Problem

Hello All,

I am new to contracting and I am just coming to the end of my 1st 3 month contract, to get things going I set up with an Umbrella Company, who have so far been very good.

What I am doing now is setting up a limited company, there is a high chance my contract will get renewed, the problem I have is that I never saw the contract the 1st time around and the contract was accepted electronically, is this normal, should i have got a paper copy?

I will have hopefully setup my own ltd company before renewal date and I will ask the agent for a copy of the contract, is there anything else I should be doing.?

Many Thanks.

You should certainly get a a paper copy of the contract - it requires your signature, unless you gave the umbrella company written authority to act on your behalf perhaps? Either way, you should at least have a copy of the contract available for you to view before giving even electronic approval!

As for what you should be doing - company bank account, check out your responsibilities as a company director via the leaflets available from Companies House, and the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise (search on google.co.uk - they are downloadable).

Research your responsibilities first, then delve into where you can legitimately lesson the tax burden.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

First of all; may I wish you good luck in your contracting career:its more likely than not you will need it at some point.

My best advice for you is to consider joining the forums contractors guild; its a group of contractors who call themseves the Satinduists; you can learn a lot about the market and who is doing whom:there should soon be an introductory workshop to be held in Brussels and Basingstoke.

Feel free to get in touch should this be of interest.

Comment

I would also check the contract you signed with the umbrella it may preclude you working at the same site without their agreement, after all they own the contract at present not you.

Comment

Research your responsibilities first, then delve into where you can legitimately lesson the tax burden.
          lessen
          We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
            I would also check the contract you signed with the umbrella it may preclude you working at the same site without their agreement, after all they own the contract at present not you.
            I bet he missed the bit about providing sexual favours to the agents as and when requested ...

It pays to read a contract.

Fungus.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
              I bet he missed the bit about providing sexual favours to the agents as and when requested ...

Fungus.
              Thats why they call you Fungus then?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The contract is between the agency and the umbrella company for my services, this could be why I accepted the contract electronically and was not sent a copy.

Anyway I get paid weekly and have never had any problems with either party, my return is about 80%

Is it still worth me going Ltd, my plan is to take 3 months off per year and am currently saving a large amount of my income and living off a small amount.

I also thought sexual favours too young female agents was the norm.

Comment

Working...
                X