• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommending a contractor - fees?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommending a contractor - fees?

Hi Guys,

First post here - new to the world of contracting. I have recently started my contract (I'm a ltd company, found job through an agency), and the ClientCo is making a few contracting hires. I have recommended someone who should get the job. Question is, how are these types of things normally done? Will they then go through a preferred supplier? Do they go to my agency? Does an agency even come into it? etc. Probably very naïve here - just trying to work out how to get the best rate for them (i.e. mimumum commission for an agent) and if possible £££ for me.

Comments appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by imightbewrong View Post
    Hi Guys,

Why don't you consider walking before running.

Comment

Originally posted by imightbewrong View Post
      Hi Guys,

First post here - new to the world of contracting. I have recently started my contract (I'm a ltd company, found job through an agency), and the ClientCo is making a few contracting hires. I have recommended someone who should get the job. Question is, how are these types of things normally done? Will they then go through a preferred supplier? Do they go to my agency? Does an agency even come into it? etc. Probably very naïve here - just trying to work out how to get the best rate for them (i.e. mimumum commission for an agent) and if possible £££ for me.

Sorry to piss on your chips but youll be fortunate to get any sort of fee.

Current client accepts recommendations from existing contractors but doesnt pay a finders fee.

Dont see why the agent should pay you anything either if they are on the PSL.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

never succeeded in getting anything significant out of an agent for a placement so dont do their work for them. I have had success extracting 'gifts' when organising my own renewals though, it's suprising what you get if you ask!

Comment

The agency usually says "no deal, he/she is already on our database anyway".
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

To which the answer is "well it's your own silly fault for not placing them and the deal is very much still on".

Comment

I've recommended people before - you stand a better chance of getting something out of your mate than out of the client or the agency. I do it as a favour to my friends if I know they are looking for work and I think they would be good there.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Word of advice here. I once did a guy I know a favour by recommedning him for a role. Anyway, I thought I was doing the client a favour as they were desperate.

I phoned the guy a few times and then phoned the agent a few times to get his CV in.

Anyway the client(The BBC) and the PM a ***** of a man, didnt like me making the calls and actually terminated my contract and replaced me with the first guy.

Just a little warning.

BTW. I have never ever, done anyone a favour since!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you have already recommended somebody it's already too late. You need contracts in place. - nobody's going to give you any money of their own free will.

For next time, you need to go as high up the procurement chain as you can. No point asking on here whether you need to go via a PSL or agent because every client company is different. If you like, post the client's name here and we'll give them a call and find out for you. Then put a contract in place with either the client or the prime contractor (and make sure it doesn't allow any easy get-outs like Fred Bloggs says). As a rough guide you should be able to get about 15% off the client direct, or 8% off an agency, for a referral. Only then make your referral.

Comment

Working...
                  X