• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compliance team - what do they check?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compliance team - what do they check?

Hi everyone

I've just been accepted for a contract, which is great, and had to fill in a load of forms: criminal record check, bank details, references and so on.

When I was filling in the reference form I saw in the small print that you must give references for all employers in the last 2 years. I've had 3 jobs in the last two years, but I was sacked from one of them (long story, poor management, etc), so I didn't put that down as a ref. I even explained the situation to the agent, who didn't seem bothered and said just put the other 2 down.

Now i've been told that all my forms have been sent down to the 'compliance' department who are going to give me a call in the next few days. This has obviously got me worried. Are they going to demand I give a ref from the place that sacked me? Are they even going to notice that I haven't given it as a ref? What exactly will the compliance department be checking for?

Help!
    Rup

There are quite a few threads with some useful info about references with different opinions.

I never ever use a client as a ref. I always just use the agency. They can confirm where i was and what I was doing so that will do me. Now if the client sacked you and the agency was on your side then not a problem. The agency can just confirm your where abouts and what you were up to and thats it. You don't need to wash your dirty washing in front of the compliance team.

Most of them just need to know you have not had a short holiday at her majesty's pleasure or been out of the country trying to overthrow African dictatorships. As long as you stayed out of trouble your ok. Getting sacked for business type issues i.e. not illegal activity is of no interest I believe.

One thing I wil say though is compliance are there to check if your a good person or are a risk to the company. Lying to them does NOT set a good precedent......
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 November 2009, 14:04.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

These days, many big companies will not confirm why you left there, in case they are then sued for libel / slander. Many will just confirm the dates that you were there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        These days, many big companies will not confirm why you left there, in case they are then sued for libel / slander. Many will just confirm the dates that you were there.
        I agree. Long gone are the days where a client co will agree to give a formal reference easily. Use your agency for references, or a colleague that you trust.

Unless it is one of the uber-large agencies, then the "compliance" department is usually in the small cupboard behind the tea machine. Seriously though... compliance will just make sure that your contact details, passport, bank details and all that jazz are in order to their own internal standards so they can tick the boxes. It follows though that smaller agencies may require more details as they either try to protect themselves from future litigation if you turn out to be crap, or try to impress clients higher up the food chain with their rigorous procedures.

Have not had an agency yet that has taken up references for my last 2 or 3 roles.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

This might be an old fishing scam used by some agencies.

Fact: Agents are always fishing of new contacts and fresh info about companies.

Agent asks you to provide your former manager's name as reference, next day, he calls your former company to talk with the manager, he admits you have provided the name as reference and he throws boatloads of sales tulip at your former manager, in case the manager is looking for contractors.

Another scam is that an agency calls you and ask you which company you work with ccurrently. Then he says 'oh really, do you work under john doe's team?'. You were not suspicious and haven't realized that there is no body called 'john doe' in your company and you naively answered: 'nope, I working under Richard Moe..

Next morning, the agent calls your company's main line and ask for richard more to dump truck loads of marketing tulip..

If an agent asks your manager's name -whatever reason-, be alerted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert View Post
            Hi everyone

I've just been accepted for a contract, which is great, and had to fill in a load of forms: criminal record check, bank details, references and so on.

When I was filling in the reference form I saw in the small print that you must give references for all employers in the last 2 years. I've had 3 jobs in the last two years, but I was sacked from one of them (long story, poor management, etc), so I didn't put that down as a ref. I even explained the situation to the agent, who didn't seem bothered and said just put the other 2 down.

Now i've been told that all my forms have been sent down to the 'compliance' department who are going to give me a call in the next few days. This has obviously got me worried. Are they going to demand I give a ref from the place that sacked me? Are they even going to notice that I haven't given it as a ref? What exactly will the compliance department be checking for?

Help!
            Rup
            Don't worry. You've be honest and explained the situation. That's more than enough.

As some of the other posters stated, you'll be fine. Just don't use/mention people/jobs like the bad one in the future. Remember, your "employer" is YOU, if you are a contractor. That means you can give whatever references you want. I always use two former managers from way back, or fellow contractors. Never failed me yet (including the gig. at an investment bank I've just started, which had to go through masses of checks.)

Nomadd
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
            X