• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Are you me?
    yes
    Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
      3. Almost every role have demanded I start immediatly yet I have nearly always sat on my ass for 3 weeks with very little to do due to not being set-up, key people on holiday etc etc
      Just got back into Investment Banking after many years...

Day 1: Can you develop this XXX for us in Java? I say, "Sure, I'll just need a PC and some admin. rights, so I can install the Java SDK and Eclipse." I tell them I could use my own laptop, but they say company policy does not allow that. So...

Day 11: PC turns up. No admin. rights.

Day 21: Get admin. rights. Install Java and Eclipse.

So as you can see, it was a busy 4+ weeks! Literally 10 minutes work in the whole period. Still, at just under £600 / day, I ain't complaining.

Nomadd.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

new years resolution - must get into finance

Comment

I've had a similar experience with several clientcos whereby I was sitting at work, surfing t'internet( it seemed I was only there to justify someone's project and he could easlit have done most of the "work" I was doing. Next client after that I worked from home most of the time (boss didn't believe we needed to be in the office as we were spread all over the south east) and spent the day watching DVDs as there wasn't much for me to do apart from answer the odd call from their clients.
          And all for 500 squids a day!

Those were the days! *sigh*
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My last UK contract was initially 3 months and I finally left after 4 1/2 years. Loved it, did practically nothing, got 400/day (back in the 90's). Clientco paid out the agency early on so I could go direct. I never had to do any isometric tests etc like the permies or put up with any of that permy-dom stuff.

My nickname from the office girls was 'kitkat' because I was always taking a break.

By the time I left the IT department was 75 people and I was the 4th longest serving member.

Please tell me this all still exists for when I come back next year...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Just got back into Investment Banking after many years...

Day 1: Can you develop this XXX for us in Java? I say, "Sure, I'll just need a PC and some admin. rights, so I can install the Java SDK and Eclipse." I tell them I could use my own laptop, but they say company policy does not allow that. So...

Day 11: PC turns up. No admin. rights.

Day 21: Get admin. rights. Install Java and Eclipse.

So as you can see, it was a busy 4+ weeks! Literally 10 minutes work in the whole period. Still, at just under £600 / day, I ain't complaining.

Nomadd.
              But you don't need admin rights to get Eclipse and Java working. Please leave your security pass at reception on your way out.

Jabber

Comment

Working...
              X