• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I've just been offered a contract and apart from wanting the usual ID info (including strangely a copy of my uk passport- something I've never been asked before). They want to see a copy indeminity/public liability/employers liability insurace for the year of the following:

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£5m), employers liability (£5m)

now I've checked with an PGC insurance agent and they are saying it would cost me about around £600 for the year. I was a bit by that and asked what the 'average insurance coverage for an IT consultant was'

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£1m), employers liability (£10m)

at a cost of £400 quid my question is this...

I want to argue the toss with my agent as I don't see the point in going over the average insurance coverage amount without a very good reason. I'm wondering what tatics or strategies should I use.

I'm speaking to them today so I really would appreciate your help.

Also, can anyone recommend any decent indeminity insurance companies that don't cost and arm and a leg.

ta muchly
    Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 3 November 2009, 11:33.

All agents are now asking for passports just as a precaution.

However lots of them are asking you to send uncertified copies which is actually not what the law they trying to abide to requires.

Do a search for insurance on this board as similar questions have been posted time and time again.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Cheers. Doing an insurance search now

Comment

PI insurance is a big fat waste of money. Try and fob the agent off with an excuse and hope they forget it.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Who is the agency. I know Elan used to ask for this for their BT roles and Modis required it also when I worked for them - they wanted insurance levels that were huge but it seemed that they had cocked up their paperwork!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've got PCG PI Insurance with Randall Dorling. It was more like £250 I think, but I only have the £100,000 PI specifically for me, but as a member of the PCG you get a £1M share level of PI with other PCG members. That was good enough for what I needed.

Also, try getting a quote from QDOS - I think their PI/PL/EL is quite cheap.
            Last edited by Hex; 3 November 2009, 12:59. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

Originally posted by Hex View Post
              I've got PCG PI Insurance with Randall Dorling. It was more like £250 I think, but I only have the £100,000 PI specifically for me, but as a member of the PCG you get a £1M share level of PI with other PCG members. That was good enough for what I needed.

Also, try getting a quote from QDOS - I think their PI/PL/EL is quite cheap.
              I'm using QDOS pretty good price at £217.90

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
                I've just been offered a contract and apart from wanting the usual ID info (including strangely a copy of my uk passport- something I've never been asked before). They want to see a copy indeminity/public liability/employers liability insurace for the year of the following:

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£5m), employers liability (£5m)

now I've checked with an PGC insurance agent and they are saying it would cost me about around £600 for the year. I was a bit by that and asked what the 'average insurance coverage for an IT consultant was'

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£1m), employers liability (£10m)

at a cost of £400 quid my question is this...

I want to argue the toss with my agent as I don't see the point in going over the average insurance coverage amount without a very good reason. I'm wondering what tatics or strategies should I use.

I'm speaking to them today so I really would appreciate your help.

Also, can anyone recommend any decent indeminity insurance companies that don't cost and arm and a leg.

ta muchly
                Is it a Banking client? If so, just suck it up and pay the £500-600 for the stupidly large policy cover they require. I had to do this for my current gig. Annoying, yes. But then it's 1 days pay, and after 7 months on the bench, I wasn't prepared to turn down a 6 month contract for the sake of a days pay...

I also pay monthly, and have a policy I can put in "suspend" mode or cancel when I like. So if I don't get a renewal in 6 months time, I'll suspend/cancel it (and be damned all that balls about "you must keep this policy up-to-date" to cover any future claim nonsense.)

Nomadd
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                X