• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Insurance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Insurance"

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    I've just been offered a contract and apart from wanting the usual ID info (including strangely a copy of my uk passport- something I've never been asked before). They want to see a copy indeminity/public liability/employers liability insurace for the year of the following:

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£5m), employers liability (£5m)

now I've checked with an PGC insurance agent and they are saying it would cost me about around £600 for the year. I was a bit by that and asked what the 'average insurance coverage for an IT consultant was'

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£1m), employers liability (£10m)

at a cost of £400 quid my question is this...

I want to argue the toss with my agent as I don't see the point in going over the average insurance coverage amount without a very good reason. I'm wondering what tatics or strategies should I use.

I'm speaking to them today so I really would appreciate your help.

Also, can anyone recommend any decent indeminity insurance companies that don't cost and arm and a leg.

ta muchly
    Is it a Banking client? If so, just suck it up and pay the £500-600 for the stupidly large policy cover they require. I had to do this for my current gig. Annoying, yes. But then it's 1 days pay, and after 7 months on the bench, I wasn't prepared to turn down a 6 month contract for the sake of a days pay...

I also pay monthly, and have a policy I can put in "suspend" mode or cancel when I like. So if I don't get a renewal in 6 months time, I'll suspend/cancel it (and be damned all that balls about "you must keep this policy up-to-date" to cover any future claim nonsense.)

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    replied
    Originally posted by Hex View Post
    I've got PCG PI Insurance with Randall Dorling. It was more like £250 I think, but I only have the £100,000 PI specifically for me, but as a member of the PCG you get a £1M share level of PI with other PCG members. That was good enough for what I needed.

Also, try getting a quote from QDOS - I think their PI/PL/EL is quite cheap.
    I'm using QDOS pretty good price at £217.90

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    I've got PCG PI Insurance with Randall Dorling. It was more like £250 I think, but I only have the £100,000 PI specifically for me, but as a member of the PCG you get a £1M share level of PI with other PCG members. That was good enough for what I needed.

Also, try getting a quote from QDOS - I think their PI/PL/EL is quite cheap.
    Last edited by Hex; 3 November 2009, 12:59. Reason: grammar correction

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Who is the agency. I know Elan used to ask for this for their BT roles and Modis required it also when I worked for them - they wanted insurance levels that were huge but it seemed that they had cocked up their paperwork!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    PI insurance is a big fat waste of money. Try and fob the agent off with an excuse and hope they forget it.

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    replied
    Cheers. Doing an insurance search now

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    All agents are now asking for passports just as a precaution.

However lots of them are asking you to send uncertified copies which is actually not what the law they trying to abide to requires.

Do a search for insurance on this board as similar questions have been posted time and time again.

Leave a comment:

• strawberrysmoothie
    started a topic Insurance

Insurance

I've just been offered a contract and apart from wanting the usual ID info (including strangely a copy of my uk passport- something I've never been asked before). They want to see a copy indeminity/public liability/employers liability insurace for the year of the following:

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£5m), employers liability (£5m)

now I've checked with an PGC insurance agent and they are saying it would cost me about around £600 for the year. I was a bit by that and asked what the 'average insurance coverage for an IT consultant was'

certificate of Incorporation, and Insurances (professional Indemnity (£1m), public liability (£1m), employers liability (£10m)

at a cost of £400 quid my question is this...

I want to argue the toss with my agent as I don't see the point in going over the average insurance coverage amount without a very good reason. I'm wondering what tatics or strategies should I use.

I'm speaking to them today so I really would appreciate your help.

Also, can anyone recommend any decent indeminity insurance companies that don't cost and arm and a leg.

ta muchly
    Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 3 November 2009, 11:33.

Working...
X