• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract up for renewal... agent response

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have just read my contract - and i am not allowed to work for the same client for a period of 6 months after i have left.... i was looking to ditch them and use another preferred supplier!madmad

Comment

A number of end clients will not re negotiate rates within a 12 month period so clearly, those saying it doesnt happen are talking bollocks.

Some places will negotiate depending on how you fit with their company and what the market is for example (not an exhaustive list!).

Some agents wont entertain re negotiating because they dont want to upset the client. some agents will attempt to re negotiate.

Dont forget we are in business. How many of you engage a build for a job then after 2 weeks, he decides he wants more money for no added value?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Some places will negotiate depending on how you fit with their company and what the market is for example (not an exhaustive list!).

Some agents wont entertain re negotiating because they dont want to upset the client. some agents will attempt to re negotiate.

Dont forget we are in business. How many of you engage a build for a job then after 2 weeks, he decides he wants more money for no added value?
        The key thing, though, is that the client appears to be willing to discuss increasing the rate, but the agent is refusing to have those discussions with the client (I can't understand why, to be honest).

It may be that the client is the one that isn't being completely honest (shock!) and is telling the OP that they are open to discussions but refusing to talk to the agent.

Speak to the client again, then speak to the agent again - if the agent sticks to it then there isn't too much that you can do. If that's the case, just make sure that the client is aware that you aren't getting any increase.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
          The client has agreed the rate increase, however the agent is refusing to talk to HR. I know for a fact the client want me to extend and are prepared to pay the 7% increase i am requesting.
          Originally posted by speedo View Post
          This is the agents response:
          "Unfortunatley we are unable to proceed with a rate increase, a rate increase after a contract of 6 months is not usual practice in normal environment. XXXXXX are not able to give an increase out of margin, except on exceptional circumstances."
          Speak to the agent on the 'phone. If they still say "No" you can be absolutely sure they are going to take the 7% and keep it themselves.

Tell the agent you will be contacting his director to say "your staff member (the agent) is unwilling to increase your agency's margin despite me having convinced the client to pay more and could the director please appoint a different member of the agency workforce to be your representative". (If they are on a fixed %age then their payment will also go up by 7%.) He will then cack himself and cave in.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

thanks for the input ... i will be calling the agent later this afternoon, appararently they had the morning off!!!

Had the agent just said that they talked to HR and there was going to be no movement on the rate, i would have accepted that, however it feels as though they are taking the p155!

Comment

Well I work for public sector clients and in my last post that lasted 14 months I, or rather my agent, negotiated two rate rises. Granted each time I was asked to take on more responsibility and that was used as the reason, but not that much responsibility that a new contract/job spec was necessary.

I suppose it all comes down to your agency and their own internal policies.

Comment

Working...
              X