• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract up for renewal... agent response

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract up for renewal... agent response

actually.... has anyone ever had an agent say that they cannot negotiate the rate until you have been with the client for 12 months?

My contract expires next week and i have asked for a raise but the agent are refusing to speak to HR.... i am in the public sector - is this the norm?

I have had assurances from the hiring manager that they are willing to increase the rate but only if the agent initiates the discussions.
    Last edited by speedo; 3 November 2009, 07:54.

Replied in error!
    B00med!

Comment

actually.... has anyone ever had an agent say that they cannot negotiate the rate until you have been with the client for 12 months?

My contract expires next week and i have asked for a raise but the agent are refusing to speak to HR.... i am in the public sector - is this the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post

They're fobbing you off; there are no such 'rules'. A rate negotiation can be done at any time. Once upon a time, an increase at first renewal used to be normal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rate is going up at the extension anyway, you're just not getting any of it.

What the agent needs is your help: why do you and the agent deserve a higher rate from the client? Have you over-delivered or over-performed? Done more than the job spec said? Taken on more responsibility? If so, package that up in an email such that the agent can use it as an argument for you. If you can't, then why should you get an increase?

UNLESS: this is your first contract. In which case you are probably on a crap rate with the agent getting a huge margin and deserve a huge increase for renewing.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Have you over-delivered or over-performed? Done more than the job spec said? Taken on more responsibility?
          Yes, Yes and Yes!!! The client has agreed the rate increase, however the agent is refusing to talk to HR - the client cannot do anything unles they initiate the matter... i am going to call the agent today and market my skills - i know for a fact the client want me to extend and are prepared to pay the 7% increase i am requesting.

This is not my first contract!

Comment

Usual agent tulip, probably more concerned about shaving their margin a little thinner
            Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
              Usual agent tulip, probably more concerned about shaving their margin a little thinner

This is the agents response:
              "Unfortunatley we are unable to proceed with a rate increase, a rate increase after a contract of 6 months is not usual practice in normal environment. XXXXXX are not able to give an increase out of margin, except on exceptional circumstances."

I will be calling them about the exceptional circumstances shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by speedo View Post
                This is the agents response:
                "Unfortunatley we are unable to proceed with a rate increase, a rate increase after a contract of 6 months is not usual practice in normal environment. XXXXXX are not able to give an increase out of margin, except on exceptional circumstances."

I will be calling them about the exceptional circumstances shortly!
                maybe talking to the agent rather than dealing by email would be quicker.

It's easy to fob you off with stock responses by email, but a bit harder when you answer the above statement with "they've already agreed to it".

Comment

I did a gig a couple of years ago on a lowish rate. I accepted it on the basis I didn't have a particular area of experience (but would expect to get up to speed very quickly). Agent advised me that if I was offered an extension (deemed likely at the time), I should warrant a rate increase as I would've proved my worth to the client.

Six months down the line, delivered everything required (and more). Was deemed first point of contact on issues relating to the area I had no experience of when I joined. Invited into a meeting to discuss a potential extension at which point I advised I would be asking for a rate increase via the agent. End client advised they don't revise rates until contractors have been on site for 12 months! Agent wouldn't cut into margin to meet my rate increase expectations, so I ended up declining the extension offer (actually, I got a much better rate at a much better gig, closer to home, looked better on CV, etc).

I happen to know they continue to have problems keeping contractors on site for more than 3-6 months purely for this reason.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by SameOldStory View Post
                    maybe talking to the agent rather than dealing by email would be quicker.

It's easy to fob you off with stock responses by email, but a bit harder when you answer the above statement with "they've already agreed to it".
                    WHS - get on the phone and tell the agent that the client are open to discussions, he just needs to talk to them about it.

If the agency refuses, then I would take legal advice about ditching them, to be honest.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X