• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts in Middle East - any tips or gotchas please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts in Middle East - any tips or gotchas please?

There are possible contracts as PM for me, one is short term less than 3 months in Kuwait, another longer term more than 12 months in Abu Dhabi.

I know renting is expensive in Abu Dhabi - the client here provides accommodation plus a daily allowance on top of the normal rate to cover flights home and car rental.

Currently I'm working under Umbrella, I need to check with brolly to see if they cover work in these countries.

Anyone who has worked in the Middle East on contracts - tips or gotchas would be appreciated please.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    There are possible contracts as PM for me, one is short term less than 3 months in Kuwait, another longer term more than 12 months in Abu Dhabi.

I know renting is expensive in Abu Dhabi - the client here provides accommodation plus a daily allowance on top of the normal rate to cover flights home and car rental.

Currently I'm working under Umbrella, I need to check with brolly to see if they cover work in these countries.

Anyone who has worked in the Middle East on contracts - tips or gotchas would be appreciated please.
    Drive to work in an Abrahms tank, work in the abrahms tank, eat and sleep in the Abrahms tank.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

As I understand it, contracts in the middle east are awarded to you personally and paid to you free of local tax, so I don't understand the need for a brolly company. There's actually very good guidance on HMRC's website about qualifying for not paying tax in the UK when working overseas.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If you work in the middle east you will require a work permit. Therefore, unless a client employ you, you will need to find an umbrella who can sort out your work permit.

I reviewed contracts for various people which were going to the UAE and they all gave me the same feedback. They had a blast. So, enjoy.

Besides that, I hope you enjoy the Sun and the tax free, Social Security free and VAT free lifestyle.

Mardi

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          As I understand it, contracts in the middle east are awarded to you personally and paid to you free of local tax, so I don't understand the need for a brolly company. There's actually very good guidance on HMRC's website about qualifying for not paying tax in the UK when working overseas.
          Yes this would be fine for the longer contract, not for the 2 month jobbie

Comment

You're coming out to the Middle East (I'm in Bahrain) at a good time; the heat's easing back to 30-35 deg. daytime.

No tax in this country so, with the client getting the work visa sorted, things are straightforward.

Make sure you you have hobbies for the evenings; there's not much in the way of quality music events (I've been to 1 classical and 1 tango concert since Feb). The Brit Club here is good; squash courts, live football and beer at a reasonable price. Restaurants tend to be good as eating out is a popular Arab social event.

I leave at the end of December for study and holiday in the Far East until the Brit winter is over.

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
              You're coming out to the Middle East (I'm in Bahrain) at a good time; the heat's easing back to 30-35 deg. daytime.
              mmmmmmmmmm that would be nice 30 to 35 degrees - if the contract comes through - haven't got the interview yet though

Comment

Working...
              X