• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - what rate can I expect?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting - what rate can I expect?

Aploogies if people are sick of seeing / responding to this type of thread - had a quick search and nobody seemed to mind when it's been asked before Anyway...

I'm thinking of ditching the permie job in the new year (Feb / March) and going contracting and i'm wondering what sort of rates I can expect with my skill set. I'm looking for a contract in finance / investment banking in London (city) doing something C#/winforms/Java/c++/xml/sql (all the usual) related. Doesn't have to be london, but thats where the money is right?

My skill set in brief:

CS degree (2:1)
    4 years in industry total, 1 year with an investment bank (not in london)
    .net/C#, winforms, some whidbey (C# generics, partial classes, etc)
    Java (More POJO than J2EE), JDBC, Swing, some SWT, etc
    c++, c (don't see many c contracting jobs about!)
    sql (sybase mainly), some Oracle, SQL Server exposure.
    Plenty of Unix, Linux
    xml, dom, sax, xslt, bit of web services (WSDL, SOAP, WS-I)

So, given I have not contracted before, what sort of rate should I be pushing for? Don't want to price myself out of the market, but I don't want to get f**ked over like I do in this permie job either...

Thanks,

Lost.

£60 per hour.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

first contract

I have managed to get my first contract at £300/day working with Lotus Notes and SOX compliance with the City. Took me a while to get this first contract!!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        £60 per hour.
        According to http://calculator.contractoruk.com/ir35-calc.php that equates to a permie salary of £105,245! (assuming outside ir35) which works out at £67,390 a year after tax (£5616 a month)

Frightening.

Comment

Frightening?

Don't worry so, after a few successful contracts you'll be able to get your rate up to something reasonable.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Your experience is good enough but right on the bottom limit of what you normally expect, many contracts quote a minimum of 5 years exp.. Still worth a try. I would have thought anything between 350-500 would be possible. Quote different rates so that you get a feel. Sometimes a rate range is given.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X