• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I despair...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And I don't agree. If your over qualified it doesn't naturally mean your worth the top rate. If anything being overqualified makes you a risk
    What risk? Jumping ship? Is there any evidence whatever that being better qualified makes one more likely to breach a contract?
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

And zippy, why quote the entire (and long) post right underneath the original post so making us scroll to read the next reply????
      It's for the benefit of those that can't be bothered to read it all

+50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

And zippy, why quote the entire (and long) post right underneath the original post so making us scroll to read the next reply????
        Probably for the same reason you write YOUR instead of YOU'RE and TO instead of TOO, it's called being lazy

Believe me I find the lazy misuse of similar sounding words a hell of a lot more annoying than someone quoting an entire post annoys you. I have to work out the meaning of what you post from 1st principles when your doesn't make sense in context, same is true for misuse of to/too and there/their/they're.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          I do that all the time...!
          He's a nob. northernlad sees himself as some form of forum ploice demanding people dont quote the whole post for some reason. Probably because he's too lazy.

Anyways, putting yourself forward at the highest rate isnt always the best move imo. Its a bit like when you get quotes for work at your home. The highest quote isnt an indication of the best workmanship. And, you tend to dismiss the highest and lowest quotes anyway.

So, especially in a tight market, it makes sense to go in at a slightly lower rate.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            He's a nob. northernlad sees himself as some form of forum ploice demanding people dont quote the whole post for some reason. Probably because he's too lazy.
            police

HTH
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Probably for the same reason you write YOUR instead of YOU'RE and TO instead of TOO, it's called being lazy
              Tad mean I think.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Tad mean I think.
                Harsh but fair.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tad mean I think.
                  Possibly, but I find it a nightmare to read a sentence that has a word with a different meaning, but similar sound as it throws the context to hell.

It's a form of dyslexia and it means that I have to work out the meaning longhand rather than being able to fast skim read when the context is knackered. It sends me up the wall.

On your original point I agree completely it's damn irritating to get the "you're overqualified" line, it's all but impossible to get through to an agent that overqualified or not you want the role and are happy to do it for the contract duration as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Possibly, but I find it a nightmare to read a sentence that has a word with a different meaning, but similar sound as it throws the context to hell.

It's a form of dyslexia and it means that I have to work out the meaning longhand rather than being able to fast skim read when the context is knackered. It sends me up the wall.

On your original point I agree completely it's damn irritating to get the "you're overqualified" line, it's all but impossible to get through to an agent that overqualified or not you want the role and are happy to do it for the contract duration as advertised.
                    Perhaps NL finds it as difficult to get grammar spot on...

Precisely, gggrrr! I resent having to justify myself, yes, that's the nail on the head..!
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Perhaps NL finds it as difficult to get grammar spot on...
                      I don't think so, I'm very sensitive to how people write and in most things he's spot on, the misuse of your for you're is almost invariably a caracteristic of idleness as is there instead of their or they're.
                      To put that comment in context I deal with a lot of people who have English as their second or third language and while their grammar or spelling is often off the mistakes I've mentioned are rare as they know they're different words.

Don't get me started on the txtspk substitutions... U, and UR are basically unreadable to me (as they have their own real meanings) and I struggle to
                      work out what the hell they're supposed to mean in context. Sends me bananas, I've spent years in vain trying to retrain myself to understand the lazy writing that sprang to the fore a decade or so back, it sends me nuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X